Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Where I stand on the Diet debate/Pellet reviews

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Where I stand on the Diet debate/Pellet reviews

Postby pukeko » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi all,

I haven't actually tried any brands other than Tops, which I introduced as an easy supplement to a fresh food diet. Suki loves them, but will only touch them if they've been wrapped in newspaper, like a candy necklace. It makes them into a foraging toy I can wrap around anything in her cages/perches, seriously cuts down on the dust (she has to eat them one at a time after chewing them out, or eating them bite by bite in the paper, which holds the dust), and I haven't noticed any smell. It probably helps to keep them fresh, as I make the twists about once a week. The biggest pain is keeping up with production, of course! :gcc:
pukeko
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: green cheeked conure
Flight: Yes

Postby GreenWing » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:19 pm

What do you all think of Avian Science Super?
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:23 am

Seeds fortified with vitamins and minerals are a gimmick. The supplements are sprayed on the outside of the seeds and parrots and finches (the most common pet birds) peel their seeds before they eat them and have no saliva in their beaks so the vitamins/minerals don't really get ingested, they get thrown out along with the seed covering.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Dbeguy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:54 am

I especially liked this lecyturer in the following film, I apologize that this is a long presentation & I don't remember precisely where she begins on pellets. The upshot is: Crush your pellets into powde and sprinkle it into chop or birdy bread. This is an admirable solution to so many problems, like picky eaters. (NOTE: Pellet discussion begins 6:15)

Last edited by Dbeguy on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dbeguy
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: none yet

Postby Kon-Tiki » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:41 pm

I actually dont mind the smell of the Tops. I kind of like it, and i also like that its wheat free, so any accidental birdy kisses after Kon-tiki eats it wont send me into anaphylaxis.

Tiki converted to it easily enough, but ive noticed that since switching her to it she cannot keep weight at all, and her feather quality has declined so much. She overstuffs her crop, and acts like she isnt getting enough to eat. The one good thing ive noticed was that she loves the taste. I cannot get her to eat her old pellets now, and was even having trouble getting her to eat her chop which she normally loves. I've found more success with crushing the pellets and mixing them into her chop so that the fresh foods are coated in it. Less mess, and its got her back to eating her fresh foods.
Kon-Tiki
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, Kazan Tumbler pigeon, Rock Dove

Postby GreenWing » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Pajarita wrote:Seeds fortified with vitamins and minerals are a gimmick. The supplements are sprayed on the outside of the seeds and parrots and finches (the most common pet birds) peel their seeds before they eat them and have no saliva in their beaks so the vitamins/minerals don't really get ingested, they get thrown out along with the seed covering.

I think some seeds added to the diet, like safflower, is good for the bird. An avian vet said parrots (specifically in the conversation I had, on Greys) need some seed to help with the gullet, and process food. Or something like that. Point being, I bought the "Avian Science Super Hookbill" which is sold/recommended by the vet, and this mix is basically a mix of safflower, seeds, corn. I mix a little of this stuff with Harrison's, solely as a supplement to my Grey's diet while she receives fresh food.

When Chance was checked out by the Avian vet, the vet stated that her diet has been lacking in vitamin A (before adoption). So I've been making sure Chance is getting sweet potatoes and carrots and other very important vitamin-A foods in a daily meal.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Cage Cleaner » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:37 am

O
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:36 am

I don't feed pellets so my birds' poop is exactly as nature intended it should be: dark green (they poop brown with Harrison's).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Cage Cleaner » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:58 am

E
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:44 am

I looked up the Caitec site but could not find the nutritional values for the pellets anywhere. What I did notice was that, for example, the medium size ones are recommended for both conures and African grays, species that have completely different nutritional requirements when it comes to protein and fat so I don't know how good they can possibly be because the nutrition either 'fits' CAGs or, say, sun conures, it can't be for both.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet