Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Air purifier

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Air purifier

Postby cml » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:16 pm

Pajarita wrote:All of them give you the option to have the ionizer on or off (it's a separate button) but you are confusing plain ionizers with ozone producers which are also called air purifiers. The plain ionizers are fine, it's the ozone producers that are dangerous.

This is the kind I have: http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/pro ... rifier.htm

This is from an independent source: http://www.achooallergy.com/honeywell-faq.asp and it states explicitly that these air purifiers do not produce ozone.

No I am not confusing the two.

My research says about the same, BUT, and this is very important:
Even negative ionizers, like the ones you describe produce trace amounts of ozone. Its well below the limits, but build up is possible hence my reccommendation.
If you wish, I can quote more than a few indepent sources for this.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Postby GreenWing » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:44 am

From my own research on this via other parrot websites, many parrot owners recommend the Honeywell air purifiers. The ones I'm more interested in are the quiet HEPA options.

Pajarita -- is the one you use in particular quiet, as claimed? And would one of them suffice for a 750 square foot house? (My house is a cottage with bamboo floors and is fully open for the most part). I need to get an air purifier very soon (despite my daily cleaning I'm starting to get bothered by the dander) and want the best bang for my buck.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby pukeko » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:40 pm

I enjoy this guy's reviews, and that he uses a particle counter. He covers everything from honeywells through sharps to iqair.

http://www.air-purifier-power.com/best- ... views.html
pukeko
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: green cheeked conure

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:42 am

GreenWing wrote:From my own research on this via other parrot websites, many parrot owners recommend the Honeywell air purifiers. The ones I'm more interested in are the quiet HEPA options.

Pajarita -- is the one you use in particular quiet, as claimed? And would one of them suffice for a 750 square foot house? (My house is a cottage with bamboo floors and is fully open for the most part). I need to get an air purifier very soon (despite my daily cleaning I'm starting to get bothered by the dander) and want the best bang for my buck.

The ones I have are quiet but you can hear them because they have a fan that pushes the air through and I always use the highest setting so what you hear is not an engine running but the whoosh of the air coming out which is a perfectly good white noise, if you ask me, and, in truth, the birds don't seem to notice at all except for the Jardine which loves to perch and poop on it so I have to wash it every single day -LOL

As to size, with a 700 square feet you are going to need a couple of large ones, I think. But it shouldn't be hard at all to figure out the size because they all give you a range in square feet in the specifications -for example, it would say something like 100-300 square feet. I use the lower number as a base and then get as many as I need to cover the entire room. In Pa, where I had a nice, large birdoom, I used to use all four of them together.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:08 pm

pukeko wrote:I enjoy this guy's reviews, and that he uses a particle counter. He covers everything from honeywells through sharps to iqair.

http://www.air-purifier-power.com/best- ... views.html

Thanks for that link, Pukeko! The one I have is on the list and while it's not the Rolls-Royce of Air Purifiers, it has received positive reviews as the site states.

:thumbsup:

Pajarita wrote:The ones I have are quiet but you can hear them because they have a fan that pushes the air through and I always use the highest setting so what you hear is not an engine running but the whoosh of the air coming out which is a perfectly good white noise, if you ask me, and, in truth, the birds don't seem to notice at all except for the Jardine which loves to perch and poop on it so I have to wash it every single day -LOL

'Just got one, a Honeywell "True HEPA Allergen Remover"... model number 17000-S. It's the quiet one, I think? I don't mind white noise, either. I sleep with a fan so any noise is fine! I think this should do the trick. :thumbsup: Thanks again. It seems like this is the model number a lot of parrot owners (from other sites) have recommended.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby mommy2cute » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:57 am

I keep a parrot as my pet at home. When my friends come to visit, some of them sneeze a lot even though I clean the cage regularly. I bought an air purifier and that solved the problem. It has been a wise decision for me to buy one since me and my friends all love to keep pets. It really helps a lot in purifying the air.
mommy2cute
Parakeet

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care