Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How many of you have ceiling fans?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Do you have ceiling fans?

Yes & Use
46%
No or Don't use
54%

Total votes : 67

How many of you have ceiling fans?

Postby Michael » Tue May 11, 2010 4:51 pm

Ceiling fans are a concern with flighted parrots so I wonder how many owners of clipped or unclipped have them. Or I should rather say use them. They are pretty harmless if never used (unless by accident). So let's have a vote and then post about your parrot (clipped or not) and how ceiling fans play a role for flight. Vote yes only if they are in any way relevant to parrot. If you have them in rooms the parrot never goes to (unless it's specifically because of the fans) you can vote no.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: How many of you have ceiling fans?

Postby HyperD » Tue May 11, 2010 5:53 pm

Nope I do not have a fan as England is far too cold to ever need them :)

I am not sure what I would do if I had fans. If I lived in a country where fans are a must then I would probably forgo having a parrot. If it's not too hot and bearable without fans for a bit then I would switch them off when the parrot is out, although I would make sure to leave signs by the switchs as a reminder to check where the parrot is!
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby lzver » Tue May 11, 2010 5:57 pm

Yes, I have a ceiling fan in the bedroom. I take the birds upstairs with me on occassion, but it is never on when they are in the room with me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby budgiebuddy » Tue May 11, 2010 6:45 pm

i have a ceiling fan in my room where i kep my bird! i never have it on unless the temperature is above 80 wicth it almost never is that high
budgiebuddy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: budgie

Postby pchela » Tue May 11, 2010 8:37 pm

Well I'm in Austin and it gets pretty hot. Ceiling fans are standard issue around here. I stopped using mine when I brought flighted birds into the house and bought an oscillating fan instead.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Michael » Wed May 12, 2010 3:33 am

So it looks to me (since I don't have any) that ceiling fans are definitely one of the pitfalls of having a flighted parrot. The solution (other than clipping) is simply not to use it and/or get covered fans?

I would recommend anyone that has a ceiling fan with flighted parrots that they don't use, to get the wiring disconnected so that a visitor couldn't turn it on by accident (unless there is a hard to reach switch in the fan that can be used to deactivate).

So, for anyone with ceiling fans, how much of an impact did they play in whether you clipped your parrot or not? For anyone was the ceiling fan a deal breaker? Is there anyone that wouldn't or can't (let's say other family members/roommates and no control over them) stop using ceiling fans and has to clip a parrot specifically as the result of them?
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby budgiebuddy » Wed May 12, 2010 6:49 am

no i dont clip my bird and i have one i just dont usually have it on
budgiebuddy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: budgie

Postby Titanius » Wed May 12, 2010 11:06 pm

Only one room in my home uses it..(rarely used)Seeing as a air conditioner is in the same exact room.And I don't think we plan on getting any more. I personally have this fear that the fan will fall and decapitate me. :shock: I wish I was joking.
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby MandyG » Fri May 14, 2010 10:20 am

Titanius wrote:I personally have this fear that the fan will fall and decapitate me. I wish I was joking.

:lol: I'm sorry, it shouldn't be funny, but that sounds really hilarious! I'm sure it won't fall down, you should be safe. :)

We dont' have ceiling fans in our house. My husband wanted to put one in, although I really don't see the point because we have central air and the house is evenly cooled :roll: . So I bought him a fan tower that he can move around if he really feels the need to use a fan, as long as it's not pointing near Mojo.

If we ever move into a house that has ceiling fans they will not be used. I think my husband has finally come to terms with Mojo having more say in the house than he does ;) .
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Ark » Fri May 14, 2010 10:43 am

I have ceiling fan in the kitchen. I use it, but only when the birds are not flying about. I usually leave it on at night and while I am not home since the birds are in their room. Personally, a fan would never be a reason for me to clip, I just wouln't use it at all.
Ark
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Psittacus erithacus erithacus. Psittacus erithacus timneh.

Next

Return to Indoor Freeflight