Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

WARNING ON FABRICS (inc. rope perches, snuggle tents, etc)

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: WARNING ON FABRICS (inc. rope perches, snuggle tents, etc)

Postby Maria » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:58 pm

Do you mean to tell me this is like new information we’re just finding out, and that leather laces, veggie died leather laces, which the parrot world has been using for bird toys all these years, saying it’s bird safe, is not safe after all, and should not be used?
Another factor is whether or not your bird is ingesting it, or just chewing it up and spitting it out and just preening it.
The website link you provided is very helping, I’m printing it out. Yes, please verify with your vet on
Is sisal safe?

What about leather laces?

And what about Hemp rope?

And what about Paulie rope?
Supreme cotton rope
And jute
Her site at a glance thus far does help clarify about the ingesting (swallowing):
"When these fibres are chewed and **swallowed**, they commonly lead to blockages in the ventriculus (stomach) or crop."
It will get people thinking, “well what about the little tiny fibers that come off of them, when they’re only just preening or chewing on these stringing materials, but not swallowing them? Can it still result in build up over time which could risk blockages?"
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:50 am

LOL - I would not use 'what the bird world has been using' as any kind of good reference. The "bird world" you refer to is an billionaire industry that has no problem whatsoever selling you completely inadequate and dangerous stuff as 'good for your bird'. It's unregulated so they can claim whatever they want...

It's great that you are asking the OP to ask her vet but I hope you know that avian vets only study physiology and pathology.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby marie83 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:32 pm

Pajarita wrote:
It's great that you are asking the OP to ask her vet but I hope you know that avian vets only study physiology and pathology.

This is true but an experienced avian vet would also have a very good idea of the common causes of injuries/illnesses so would be in a fairly decent position to judge what materials are higher risk- a much better position than your average bird keeper/breeder etc.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:09 am

Yes, you are right about that. They would know what causes impaction or occlusions simply because of the cases they see.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Maria » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:43 am

Yes, I agree, an avian veteranarian or an aviculturist would be in good positions/categories to know more what is safe, what is not. That's also what I tend to lean toward. There are bird toy manufacturers out there which do *not* stick with bird safety; and there are some which *do*. IE: I saw in a parrot shop a toy made on one of those split key rings for hanging with. MAJOR unsafe, as in "the bird world" we KNOW birds can get their tounges caught in those types of key rings, and they should never be used. Those metals split key rings; I'm sure you know which ones I'm talking about. I would replace that with with one of those stainless steel pear shaped quick links which screw closed (I'm sure you're familiar). With a toy on the split ring key ring, there was another toy which from that ring, there hung an unsafe type linked chain (would be hard to describe here). Then there was another toy which was made out of a party favor box (those have glue/adhesive on the flaps inside; bottom of boxes) - not good. I don't care what anyone says, I would *not* give my bird glues or adhesives; not comfortable, would not chance it for many reasons. It's just not something I want him to have. There are so many other types of toys and bird toy parts with safer options. Any time I look at or use little boxes, I always check for glue on the flaps, and either don't use them, or cut out the glued strips parts - then you can tie the rest of the box together . . . . Little boxes without glued flaps can be hard to find; I've searched all different sources, but you do come across them. I prefer just boxes where the flaps fold into eachother to close them. Alot of times boxes used for food can be used, but cut the glued strips out. Basically when used for food, they're not going to use toxic dyes for the coloring of the boxes. I have seen bird toys in the parrot shops with food boxes cut up into little square pieces and strung onto toys. You can clearly see the food preparation instructions and nutritional information and the pictures of the food (crackers, etc) on these box parts on the toys.

But it is good to follow up with what she brings back as these general questions for her vet, and she is so great for sharing this info with us.

It's also about what you're comfortable with, with your birds.

I have found some good information and articles about some safety things, things which should not be used, and things which are safe to use, etc., which I will post more about as time permits; right now I’ve been trying to research about some of them. There are some which seem old; some I don’t agree with, etc. Here is a great one I came across imparticularly which was very helpful and informative for me; this link: http://www.okbirds.com/399/is-cardboard ... r-my-bird/ - - “Titled Is Cardboard Safe For My Bird?” It’s by an Avicultural Society. (Even still, I would never use toilet paper rolls or paper towel rolls because I’m just not comfortable giving glue to my bird, personally). Another thing you can give your bird is those little bitty snack boxes of raisens! (smile) – think, that’s food going directly against the box! Safe! That has been posted on birdsnways.com but, on second thought, that might make the bird eat the cardboard, which I don’t like that idea. You don’t want them to eat cardboard, you want them to tear it up and spit it out. If it’s flavored, because the raisens being against it, they may eat it. You know how some of the raisen residue can be left on the box. But that was some thoughts, and also to use the raisen boxes to make foraging toys, but not sure because that cardboard would end up flavored with raisen.

Here is another good helpful link about some things which can be used to make toys, some are general and we know about them. It is written from a bird rescue place, which you will see at the bottom. Here’s the link: http://www.azexoticbirdrescue.org/toys- ... hment.html - - article name: Toys & Behavior Enrichment

Also saw another interesting toy idea on birdsnways.com was to use those itty bitty cereal boxes as toys for birds, so that may be great, because they at least have the lining inside the box which the cereal is in, so the food doesn’t come in contact with the box, so then the box material can not get the flavor of food on it.
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:23 am

Hmmm, I agree that avian vets would have some information based on their own experience but not aviculturists (this is a euphemism for breeders and most parrot breeders are not aviculturists in the strict sense of the word). The breeding birds I've seen don't have that many toys if any at all, the breeders usually want them to concentrate on breeding and nothing else.

Personally, I think that the best way to find out about safe versus unsafe things is birdsites because lots and lots people would post their experience there and, the way I see things, if 100 people say something it's safe but one person says it killed, hurt his/her bird, that's more than enough for me not to risk it with my birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby InsanityShard » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:47 pm

How could I tell what kind of rope the toys I have are made out of? I recently got the first toy, and first step, to fully preparing to own a parrot. It's a ropy toy, woven in the shape of a person with two small metal bells hanging from its hands. I'm only after a small parrot, no larger than a cockatiel, hoping on a Princess Parrot but still researching. Will the size of my parrot effect how dangerous the rope toy is to it? It's very very soft and has many loose ends. I can post a picture if you would like. The bells are small, but again, I only want a small parrot.
I also do not know what a happy hut is, but I have been planning on getting a small woven grass tunnel for it to sleep in and be warm in the Winter. However, this bird will also have access to the top bunk in my room, which is absolutely covered in probably over 100 teddy bears. Would that be unsafe for it? And if it is, would covering them up with a blanket be suitable? I don't want to leave the parrot cooped up in a cage more than it needs to.
InsanityShard
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Budgie

Postby Chantilly » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:45 pm

InsanityShard wrote:How could I tell what kind of rope the toys I have are made out of? I recently got the first toy, and first step, to fully preparing to own a parrot. It's a ropy toy, woven in the shape of a person with two small metal bells hanging from its hands. I'm only after a small parrot, no larger than a cockatiel, hoping on a Princess Parrot but still researching. Will the size of my parrot effect how dangerous the rope toy is to it? It's very very soft and has many loose ends. I can post a picture if you would like. The bells are small, but again, I only want a small parrot.
I also do not know what a happy hut is, but I have been planning on getting a small woven grass tunnel for it to sleep in and be warm in the Winter. However, this bird will also have access to the top bunk in my room, which is absolutely covered in probably over 100 teddy bears. Would that be unsafe for it? And if it is, would covering them up with a blanket be suitable? I don't want to leave the parrot cooped up in a cage more than it needs to.

Hi, I also have these man shaped rope toys for my little conure, (the rope is an earthy brownish colour) my bird loves them and I have never had a problem, mine are made from either sissal or jute, natural cords like this are safe. :thumbsup:
Sisal, jute, hemp, seagrass and other ropes are natural and are safe in parrot toys.
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby InsanityShard » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:29 am

Great, thanks, most of the toys I'm looking at in this particular pet shop are all nice natural ones- even the perches are actual branches from gum trees cut at the ends with a metal prong at each end. Even the block toys are all rough like that. =P
InsanityShard
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Budgie

Postby liz » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:27 am

Avian vets, critter vets and even you own doctor do not take the time to give you all the info you need.
To begin with if they are not parronts they do not have the emotional contact with these little beings so they do not have that knowledge. Even if the diagnosis is correct he is so busy that he only gives you some of the info he knows. The volume of patients that he has limits his time to tell you or for you to ask questions.

I gave up a little dog and a big cat, both of which were in tune to me. Because the vet threw the scary stuff at me and did not explain that it could be controlled. I miss them the most because I was responsible for their deaths due to a vet not taking the time to tell me more or supply me with written info on their illnesses before computers.

I remember the first time I took Rambo in for a check up. When I opened the cat carrier and Rambo walked out the vet laughed and called him "fat bird". He did not take the time to tell me the problems a fat bird can have or even give me a pamphlet to read on the subject.

I want to thank Michael for starting this forum. I want to thank ever one of you for the care you give to your birdies and for sharing what you have learned. The searchers add a lot to this forum and I want to thank them. The first two that come to mind are Wolf and Pajarita but is not limited to those two. If they don't know an answer they search for it and give me the info rather than leave me to muddle through and find it.

I want to thank the young ones who devote every available minute of their time to their birdy babies. I don't think parrotforlife was ready when he joined the forum but has blossomed into a parront with knowledge that I have used and find valuable. Chantilly came to the forum with knowledge and love. I have valued her information and the questions she has brought up.

I want to thank all the members in this forum. So many in the forum have given help to the "old lady" but the "old Ladie"s" memory is old and can't remember them all at this time.

We need the Avian vets but we just can't go by what they say as etched in stone. Get a second opinion and bring this information to the forum to kick it around before following blind what the Avian vet tells you.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY