Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Target flight problem - help

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Target flight problem - help

Postby Willayellowsided » Sun May 25, 2014 7:44 pm

Hi everyone new member here ........
My greencheek conure Willa is 10 weeks old she is now doing target flying and will go wherever I ask her to fly ......... However she flys to target (me and or flight perches) before being asked.
I don't click the clicker or give her a treat when she does this before I ask but I'm wondering how do I
Fix this problem ????? Or is it even a problem???? I want to continue on to tricks but thought I would check to see if this needs fixed before I move on.
Willayellowsided
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Target flight problem - help

Postby Wolf » Sun May 25, 2014 9:01 pm

Willa is one smart bird, and she has figured out what you are doing because you are asking her to do the same thing over and over without changing it. Set up another perch and or the back of a chair or two then you have enough places to target her to in a more random fashion. Try this and See if this changes her response. Also don't always give a treat, change from a treat to scratching her head accompanied with enthusiastic words of praise or just praise. Reward the correct response by one of these three rewards, treat, praise, and scratches and praise also in a random fashion.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Michael » Sun May 25, 2014 9:16 pm

Good advice. What is happening is good. Tap that motivation into something more controlled and it will simply be stupendous.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby KimberlyAnn » Mon May 26, 2014 1:29 am

Good and normal! My green cheek will do all her tricks (sometimes all at the same time haha She will wave, put her wings up and trip all over herself trying to spin or roll over) if I just pick up the treat jar. I just wait for her to finish and ask her to do something...and yes, change it up. But they are such good little birds! Very smart. :)
My family: "Emmi" Green Cheek Conure (12/15/2012), One husband, two step kids, and one baby boy born in January 2015!
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby reyshooter » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:08 am

hello, i was also in training my sun conure bird, in the process of flight recall was good before, and now my bird won't flight to me again, if i call his name, he just nodded his head, and seems not responded to my call...

sometimes i treat my bird with hungry therapy, if he seems not respond me well, the hungry therapy that i was treated to my bird is not give him a food in 10 hours, even in 15 hours, also reducing the proportion of the food, i don't using sunflowers seed, i always give bird porridge

usually my treat is works, but now the bird just nodded his head if i call his name just like i mention above,

how to make a bird to responding back and flight if i call his name again?

please give me some advice. thanks you so much
reyshooter
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:11 am

"Hungry therapy"?! Not feeding the bird for 15 hours?! Jesus Christ Almighty!!! No wonder the bird no longer wants to go to you! Why would it? Parrots are extremely intelligent animals, they know very well if you are a good caregiver or not. I seriously doubt you ever had the bird's love and now, by depriving it of food, you have lots its trust. A bird should NEVER EVER EVER EVER be deprived of food! Sir, birds have very high metabolisms and need to eat a lot and very frequently. Going by what you wrote and depending on how long you've been doing this, best case scenario, your bird is malnourished at this point in time - and worst case, his internal organs have been severely compromised. You can't starve an animal without there been serious physical and emotional consequences.

You have completely misunderstood Michael's teachings! Please, sir, forget about training your bird and concentrate in keeping it alive and healthy: FEED IT!!!!!!!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:35 pm

Yeah, you might want to reread and rewatch my lessons before you try any further attempts at training.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks