Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Carpet Shampooing

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Carpet Shampooing

Postby Disqualify » Mon May 26, 2014 6:50 pm

I recently used a Rugdoctor to clean my carpet and I just wanted to know about how long before it is safe to bring my bird back into my room. I know there is no set time but I was just wondering about a general guideline. :gcc: :cockatoo:
Disqualify
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Goffin Cockatoo(30), Green Cheek Conure(Weaning)
Flight: Yes

Re: Carpet Shampooing

Postby marie83 » Mon May 26, 2014 7:48 pm

I just googled it and have no idea what the ingredients are tbh. Personally because of that I wouldn't use it at all but since you already have I would wait at least 1 week and keep all the windows and any doors that lead outside in that room open for as many hours a day as possible.

On that note what do people use for cleaning carpets? The carpets haven't been cleaned in the 4 years my parrots have been living at my boyfriends and never had the issue of having to clean carpets prior to this. I have a few ideas but was curious if anyone else had the same ideas as me- or any practical experience of cleaning carpets where birds are kept.

**EDIT** as for the pet version of this product I can't even find an ingredient list (sorry didn't see that there was a pet version before)

**EDIT 2** found it "Contains less than 5% Non-ionic surfactant and anionic surfactants. Contains Hexyl cinnamaldehyde. Linalool. Contains a perfume." I couldn't even use that, I'm allergic to linalool. I don't like the look of it tbh "Contains a perfume" ???
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Disqualify » Mon May 26, 2014 8:51 pm

Thank you very much!
Disqualify
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Goffin Cockatoo(30), Green Cheek Conure(Weaning)

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:59 am

I don't have carpet anywhere in the house (I HATE them!) but we do have large area rugs both in the living room and the dining room and what I do is rent the large machines from Home Depot and use real hot water with a bit of clothes detergent in it and a splash of Clorox and then do them again with just hot water (kind of like a rinse) - works just fine and there are no bad fumes.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:29 pm

Be careful as the fumes from heated or hot vinegar can be lethal to a parrot.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to General Parrot Care