Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot Names

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Parrot Names

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:59 pm

Here you can post your parrots' names and why you called them that.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrot Names

Postby Kathleen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:53 pm

Duke's name is a tribute to a great progressive rock band, Genesis, and their album "Duke", released in 1980. :mrgreen:
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:09 pm

Piper was named that way because I liked the name and it seemed to suit her and she picked up pretty fast that it was her name.

Shade was named that way because, based on a website I've found way back when I was about to get her, it's supposed to mean "Sweet" in Swahili. Since Sennies are from Africa, I wanted an African name. Not sure if it truly is, but I liked it.

Joey was named by his previous owner. He responded well to it so I didn't change it. Would not have been my first choice but it does seem to suit him. Plus, I get to call him Joey-Jo-Jo, which I find funny, and I actually taught him to say his name.

Petey was also named that way when I got her. Plus she already said her name and responds very well to it. Had she not said it, I would have seriously considered changing it. Oh well.

Zuri was first named Oscar. Didn't know how to say it and didn't seem to respond to it either. So I changed it to Zuri, which apparently (based on a website once again) means "beautiful" in Swahili. And beautiful she is.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Kathleen » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:06 am

I've seen some other unique names for birds on here... anyone else want to share?
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby MandyG » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:34 am

I was really worried about picking the 'right' name for Mojo. He'll hopefully live for a very long time and I didn't want a name that was trendy or something that I thought was cute right now but I wouldn't like after a few years. I couldn't find anything I liked! I went through tons of baby name sites, pet name sites, and watched him hoping something would jump out at me that suited him.

I really liked my dog's names, they really suit them. My black lab is named Mika (my favorite movie at the time was Euro Trip) and my boxer's name is Radar (he has these HUGE ears he never grew into, and I love Radar O'Reilly on Mash). So I wanted to find a name that really suited him and meant something.

Finally I had a list of names that were alright, but I didn't really like them. They just didn't suit him. Then we were brainstorming with some friends and Mojo came up. I don't know why but saying it to him just felt right, so we stuck with it! Now I couldn't imagine a better name for him :thumbsup: .
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby pchela » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:35 pm

Pippin is short for Peregrin. He's named after Peregrin Took. He is a lovable pain in the ass and always getting into something and generally causing trouble just like Pippin did in The Lord of the Rings series.

Nicholas (Red Belly) and Dax (Meyers) were already named when I got them. Dax is a Star Trek reference and the original owner just liked Nicholas I guess. I try to call him Nicodemus, after the rat in The Secret of Nimh, but he knows his name and says it often so I don't know if it will work.

I will be getting a Caique, hopefully this weekend, and the naming shall commence!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Natacha » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:27 pm

pchela wrote:Pippin is short for Peregrin. He's named after Peregrin Took. He is a lovable pain in the ass and always getting into something and generally causing trouble just like Pippin did in The Lord of the Rings series.

Pippin was my favorite hobbit :)
Good name ;)
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby pchela » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:15 am

Thanks! I'm partial to Pippin myself!

So, I got my caique. She's a little girl. Any name suggestions? :caique:
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby Kathleen » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:54 pm

Be sure to post picks of your new Caique. :caique: :mrgreen:

As for a name.... hmmmm, not sure. What is her personality like?
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby pchela » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:56 pm

Well her personality hasn't come out yet. She's still a bit skittish. She is extremely hyper though!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Next

Return to General & Off Topic