Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What veggies to use for dying home made toys

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

What veggies to use for dying home made toys

Postby Elaihr » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:10 am

Hi!

I just thought I'd start this thread as I haven't found any other that covers this, and only this. I've been thinking about making some home made toys for Penny, which I would also like to dye, as she seems a lot more interested in things that are colourful. However, I'm strictly against any artificial colouring (I don't know what's in them!), so this is not an option for me. What I'm interested in is vegetable/fruit/herb dyes, and I'm wondering what sources could be used to make different colors. The only thing I've managed to think of so far would be carrots for orange and beetroots/raspberries/blueberries for red/purple-ish, but I can't think of much to make green, for example. Nettles, perhaps? Also, I'm guessing any toys dyed like this would end up tasting like whatever was used for making the dye, something I guess could be both good or bad (depending on whether or not your bird likes the taste).

It would be fun to see what you guys think about this!

Are you making your own toys for your birds? If so, do you dye them? Why/why not? If you do, what vegetables/fruits/herbs/other do you use to make the dye?

Feel free to add thoughts on things that might be less good to use, maybe some vegetables/fruits/herbs would make the toys taste terribly bad, or perhaps some could even become toxic? I myself am no expert (and have no intention of using anything I haven't confirmed as safe) so I'd very much appreciate it if those of you who do know could share info on this :)

Thanks!

Best regards,
Sara & Penny
Elaihr
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Blue-headed Pionus (Pionus menstruus)
Flight: Yes

Re: What veggies to use for dying home made toys

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:32 am

You can use baking dies, they are safe for birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Elaihr » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:56 am

Splendid! Are there any ingredients in those that could be bad at all?
Elaihr
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Blue-headed Pionus (Pionus menstruus)

Postby RiffRaff » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:26 pm

I would avoid veggie dyes that may make a parrot think your toy is meant to be food, as I don't like my birds eating anything that isn't food.
"It's astounding. Time is... fleeting. Madness takes its toll."
RiffRaff
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY