Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Appropriate cage for a Senegal Parrot

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Appropriate cage for a Senegal Parrot

Postby Michael » Tue May 18, 2010 11:39 pm

Natacha wrote:Are you sure he's a male?
Based on the picture I would say female..but the picture is kinda blurry so I'm not 100% sure :)

Don't all babies look more female but then develop male plumage as they mature or stay female? That's definitely the case with Capes and Cockatiels which are sexually dimorphic to my knowledge.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby pchela » Tue May 18, 2010 11:47 pm

Actually it depends on the species. Baby Red Bellies generally all have the red bellies but the females lose the red after a few months. Senegals aren't sexually dimorphic though it is thought that the point of the females vest is lower and they generally have a more dainty appearance. Kili certainly looks more dainty than Pippin does.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Alexander » Wed May 19, 2010 1:06 am

I let him (or her) out for half an hour to have his breakfast, but again he didn't eat anything. The first time I tried to make him step up he flew away, but after that even though he was a bit hesitant he had no problem stepping up. I am surprised at how strong he is and how well he can fly. I am really happy that his wings weren't clipped.

I decided to let him rest in his cage as I believe he is not yet comfortable enough for long sessions out of his cage. I really hope that he will start eating and drinking some water. I tried to feed him, but he didn't want to eat anything...

By the way, he really likes to sit on my shoulders! :)

I will try to post some photos later on...

Alexander
Alexander
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Michael » Wed May 19, 2010 9:40 am

You may want to avoid developing a habit of shouldering. Senegals can get quite aggressive/rambunctious. I use shoulder time exclusively as a treat that can be taken away at any moment for bad behavior by shaking her off of it.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Alexander » Wed May 19, 2010 9:56 am

Yes, I decided to discourage him from sitting on my shoulder, because he doesn't do anything else other than that. He steps up and heads directly for my shoulder or flies and lands on it. Also, I cannot find an easy way to get him off my shoulder once he is there. I am trying to make him step up, but he backs off and I can't reach him. I could grab him with my hand, but I don't know if this would be wise. However, whenever I manage to make him step up I reward him with a treat or with positive remarks. Also, I noticed that when he sits on my shoulder he tends to bite more and sometimes he also makes a strange sound which sounds like a cat's purr.
Alexander
Lovebird

Postby lzver » Wed May 19, 2010 10:28 am

Alexander wrote:Yes, I decided to discourage him from sitting on my shoulder, because he doesn't do anything else other than that. He steps up and heads directly for my shoulder or flies and lands on it. Also, I cannot find an easy way to get him off my shoulder once he is there. I am trying to make him step up, but he backs off and I can't reach him. I could grab him with my hand, but I don't know if this would be wise. However, whenever I manage to make him step up I reward him with a treat or with positive remarks. Also, I noticed that when he sits on my shoulder he tends to bite more and sometimes he also makes a strange sound which sounds like a cat's purr.

Jessie quite commonly hitches a ride with me around the house on my shoulder. I rarely have a problem with him being there - but keep in mind we already have that bond/trust. I trust him to be there, because he's never bitten me while he's on my shoulder. He also easily steps up for me when I want to get him off.

And Jessie makes what I refer to as a purring sound when he's hanging out on me. I only ever hear him make the noise when he's with me and I kind of associate it with a sound of contentment or happiness ... similar to the meaning with a cat.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Natacha » Wed May 19, 2010 4:48 pm

Michael wrote:
Natacha wrote:Are you sure he's a male?
Based on the picture I would say female..but the picture is kinda blurry so I'm not 100% sure :)

Don't all babies look more female but then develop male plumage as they mature or stay female? That's definitely the case with Capes and Cockatiels which are sexually dimorphic to my knowledge.

From day 1 of seeing Shade and her brother (which was when they were a month old), I had a pretty strong inclination that Shade was going to be a female and Nemo a male, and this only intensified when the plumage came in. Shade definitively had a rounder head, where Nemo was flat and the "V" on Nemo's chest definitively came higher than Shade's.

But again, these are not 100% fail safe methods of telling sexes of Sennies apart.

As for the shouldering with the Senegal - I think it depends on the bird. Quite honestly, Shade is the one I most trust on my shoulder. Piper is also allowed and Zuri sometimes. I won't let Joey up there (since he has a habit of liking ears) and I don't think I'll ever let Petey there either...
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Alexander » Thu May 20, 2010 4:25 am

Is it normal for Senegals to stick on you and follow you everywhere? I was in the bathroom cleaning one of his perches and he flew from the other end of the house and came in the bathroom and sat on my shoulder. Also, everytime I leave him on the playtop, with some effort since he doesn't want to step down from me, he flies back to my shoulder. If I just leave him be on my shoulder he is very quiet, but if I turn to him he tries to bite me, although not aggressively. Also, when he is in his cage and I enter the room he tries to be as close to me as possible. Is this considered a healthy behaviour? :?
Alexander
Lovebird

Postby Michael » Thu May 20, 2010 9:22 am

You are creating a situation where the bird runs things. You'll regret that down the line. Parrots should never be allowed to train you like that. If Kili lands on my shoulder I shake her off. I will only put her on there as a reward for a proper recall to my hand.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Alexander » Thu May 20, 2010 9:39 am

Yes, I have sort of figured that out. Today, I let him out for a couple of hours and I didn't leave him to sit on my shoulder, but he is very persistent and once he lands on my shoulder it is not easy to make him step up (although I have sort of found a way of making him go down from my shoulder through my arm where I can easily make him step up). I do not shake him off or make any sudden moves, lest he becomes afraid of me.

Also, I ignored his calls while he was in his cage and only went in the room when he was quite.
Alexander
Lovebird

PreviousNext

Return to Housing