Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockatiel singing!

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Cockatiel singing!

Postby ronaldddd » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:38 pm

I have my cockatiel :greycockatiel: for about 5 months and im curious when a cockatiel is acually going to learn to sing, i already whistle like the "sexy tune" everyday. but i dont know if he is still to jong or just does not wanna sing?

thank you!
ronaldddd
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Cockatiel singing!

Postby Wolf » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:35 pm

Good question, and at the risk of sounding condescending, the correct answer is when it is ready to.
Now, I will try to explain my answer. I don't have a cockatiel but some things are the same regardless of the species and this is one of them. First one never knows what type of vocalizations that their bird will choose to bless them with. some will sing up a storm as long as they are not aware that you can hear them, some will only sing for the right person, and only they know who that will be. Some of them will not indulge in it at all, some of them will only sing a tune that catches their attention and that they like and again, only they know which ones they like.
My best example of this is my African Grey Parrot. She is now 14 yrs. old and when she came to me she spoke a little and sometimes she said enough for me to know that she knew how to say a lot more and in context. Then she stopped talking and only whistled, about a month ago, she started talking again out of the blue. Interestingly enough, the only thing that she says now that she did when she arrived is her name. She still speaks in context, but it is totally different words and phrases then before. And while she talks to me, she rarely says anything when my Lady is present.
One just never knows.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby shiraartain » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:35 pm

When I had my cockatiel and we first brought him home, I was at school all morning and came home around 3:00. I would put a CD on to play while I was gone, and my cockatiel picked up some of the tunes from that that he would whistle whenever he felt like it. I never recognized any of the music since I never listened to the CD myself, but it was always nice to hear it from him.

Later on I realized birds pick up sounds for communication purposes. So if you whistle a tune every time for a certain action consistently, he might pick it up.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby liz » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:41 am

Sweetie and Tammy do not sing. They do happy little tweeters to each other and Sweetie even tweeters to me. Shadow and Tommy both sing. Shadow (even though he is the smallest) is the oldest and sings the most. Sometimes they sing together.

One year Shadow and Sweetie broke and egg and only one was born. Because he had no nest mate he came out long before he should. I named him Columbus. Lemon' claimed him and sang to him from the beginning. Columbus starting singing before he was fully fledged.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:50 am

It depends on the gender because males vocalize while females don't BUT a female without a mate would call for one when hormonal (it's a monotone one or two not call) and a male without a female will drive you crazy with it. A mate bonded pair will not make a peep unless it's the beginning of spring when the male will vocalize a bit.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:38 am

Well, I thought that I probably hit the nail on the head with this on, but it is beginning to appear to me as if I not only missed the nail, but smacked my thumb as well. Ouch!
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:39 am

LOL - Don't worry about it, Wolf. If making mistakes with birds was like hitting our fingers with a hammer, I would have no nails left in both my hands and would be missing some in my toes, too!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations