Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

how to teach wave

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

how to teach wave

Postby GMV » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:06 pm

Im trying to teach lily and delight wave and i don't think im doing it right.
What im doing is getting the bread close to their hands, and shaking it so they wave, then clicker, then treat. is there a better way?
GMV
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: [Green-Cheek Conure] [Cockatiel]
[Umbrella Cockatoo]
Flight: Yes

Re: how to teach wave

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:24 pm

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby momo79 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:50 pm

momo79
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: Ara ararauna
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:38 pm

Cockatoos wave on their own when they see you doing it. I've never taught mine to do it but they both do it (and Freddie does it with Byebye, too :D )
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby toshinobu » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:29 pm

Is a parrotlet too small to train to wave?? If I put my hands too near, he just jumps with both feet onto my hand (he doesnt step up like most big parrot). If my hand is far away (because I already trained him the flight exercise), he would just fly over and land on the hand.... So I have a hard time just to get him even to lift up one leg. Please advise. Thanks
toshinobu
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:09 pm

I don't think the issue is one of him being too small, it seems to me that the thing to get past is that they don't pick up their food the way that bigger parrots do, I think this makes it more likely that he may not learn to wave. I have never tried to train a parrotlet to wave.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby toshinobu » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:22 pm

Thank you sir. I guess that's one trick I can cross off from the list then.LoL :? :violin:
toshinobu
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Why ? Although there is a higher likelihood of him not learning the trick, it doesn't mean that he can't or won't if you are willing to be patient with him because he doesn't normally lift his foot high enough for a wave due to not picking up his food with his foot. With the flexibility and range of motion that my parrots seem to have there doesn't appear to be any physical limitations to deal with, just a mental path that isn't normally used. I was not trying to discourage you from trying this, I was trying to tell you why it may take more time and energy to accomplish this task.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:47 am

Well, I assume that the OP meant that as it would take soooooooo much insisting (read: stress for the bird) for such a small bird to do this particular trick, the bird would be much better off not been taught.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:53 am

Possibly so. don't know what the OP is thinking, would like to know. I am not trying to change the OP's mind in either direction, I am just interested in know what the OP is thinking. Curiosity, you know, and yes I know what it did to the cat, but I am not a cat so hopefully the outcome will be different.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Parrot Trick Training