Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How many of you have ceiling fans?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Do you have ceiling fans?

Yes & Use
46%
No or Don't use
54%

Total votes : 67

Re: How many of you have ceiling fans?

Postby alight15 » Mon May 17, 2010 7:35 am

Have 1 ceiling fan in kitchen and one in bedroom,the one in the kitchen is above the dining table so it's used for the light attached or if something goes wrong in the kitchen(not a usual happening)
The one in the bedroom is used, again for the light, since the only other light is my desk lamp but the 'fan' part is almost never on.
:lovebird: I still feel a sinking feeling if my parakeet flies near them even when it's not been on.
Pet Birds & Safe Woods
Keet Korner
Other Links:
http://ezinearticles.com/?cat=Pets:Birds
http://www.birdcagestand.net
http://www.birdguys.com/pet-bird-articles.html
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1422_caring-parakeets.html
alight15
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigars
Flight: Yes

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed May 26, 2010 5:08 pm

It wasn't a deal breaker, but it was one of many factors in deciding to keep Scooter clipped.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Wed May 26, 2010 11:22 pm

What if all other factors were solved or removed, would the use of the fan still stop you from flying scooter?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby skeetersunconure » Thu May 27, 2010 6:03 am

well skeeter stays in my room and my fan is pretty much always on but skeeter cant fly yet he is growing out his wings when he does get his flight i will just not have the fan on when he is out of the cage in my room.
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:15 am

nope no ceiling fans. i use covered fans in my room and those aren't even on when my bird it out. its now winter in new zealand so my issue is my oil heater right now.
Last edited by TheNzJessie on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby Athena&beepbeep'smom » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:50 am

I think you just have to get used to safety precautions. Free flighted birds have many safety obstacles. We have a procedure when a bird is out you tell everyone in the house so no one opens doors or windows and everyone watches their feet. Then you close toilet lids and check for other hazards and turn off the ceiling fans. As long as you do the same thing every time and get in a routine you're good. My parrotlet Beep Beep's favorite thing to do out of the cage is to land on one of the ceiling fans while I gently push, like a little beep beep merry go round. I don't how he would amuse himself if I didn't have ceiling fans.
Athena&beepbeep'smom
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: White Capped Pionus, Pacific Parrotlet

Postby Brittanyv326 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:00 am

I have 5 ceiling fans and almost always every one is on. It's so HOT & HUMID in Florida that if the bedroom doesn't have a ceiling fan, I will not move into the place despite how great the rest may be. I am going to have Sade flighted when her clip grows out, at least to try it. At that point, I'll have to put a sign next to the cage as a reminder to turn all fans off before letting her out along with whatever other precautions we deem necessary. It is not that big of a downfall, the most important ceiling fan is the one over our bed and we don't spend time in there except to sleep, so we can just shut the door when she's out. Not too worried about it. Not a deciding factor in flighted vs clipped, just an inconvenience of flighted. I just drew this up in paint, red circles are the fans:

Definitely an issue here, but we'll get over it!
& I'm working on getting more play areas for her, just gotta find the right one at the right price. :)
Brittanyv326
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.

Postby LiaraTivona » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:45 am

In New England, we only use ceiling fans on really bad days, which aren't that often. Even then, they aren't very useful.

A good fan in the window or on you is much better, but I wouldn't let Tika out with those on either. I'm afraid she'll somehow slip her leg in too close to the blades, even though they have a good deal of space between the grate and the blades. I certainty wouldn't let her out with the ceiling fan on, clipped or not, but maybe I've just never experienced a "good" enough clip.

(courtesy of Office Depot)
Maybe something like this would be safe? That's what my fiance's family uses in Virginia. They are a family of walking space heaters so they have these things on them almost all the time in the summer. I am not usually so hot so when I move down I was going to go without a fan for Tika's sake.

My roommate I have now is the one who turns on the fans, and we always triple check to make sure the bird is not currently out and that everyone knows not to take the bird out if the fan is on in any room (unless I have her sealed in my bedroom for play).

Edit: Ceiling fans were a problem with my budgie when I was younger when they were off. They were a hazard for us kids because he would fly onto the "perch" that holds the blades on and move to the next perch when we spun the fan toward us to try to get him off. We'd do this standing on a chair beside the dining room table, sometimes forgetting to lift the cushion that could have easily slipped. :shock: Fortunately Tika is a little scared of heights and hasn't decided to use curtain rods or fans as perches.
LiaraTivona
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Budgie

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:15 pm

Michael wrote:What if all other factors were solved or removed, would the use of the fan still stop you from flying scooter?

Not in and of itself. But it would be a risk factor, and it would be something to keep track of.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Rue » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:49 pm

We don't have AC...so the ceiling fan in the family room gets used a lot.

But when the birds are out, we turn it off.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

PreviousNext

Return to Indoor Freeflight