Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parakeet Very attached to Its toy?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Parakeet Very attached to Its toy?

Postby Blu » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:57 pm

My parakeet Blu has a toy that he loves. He has had it since I first got him. But I was wondering if its normal for birds to become as attached to his toy as he is. He will sit for hours and play with it and talk to it and I have seen Him "feed" his toy. I would like him to bond with me more but I would feel Horrible removing his toy.
Blu the Budgie :budgie2:

Connor the Green Cheek Conure :gcc:
Blu
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet, Cinnamon Green cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Parakeet Very attached to Its toy?

Postby Wolf » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:49 pm

If you mean that he regurgitates for his toy, then it is probably time to trade it out for another one. If you want him to bond with you more then it is possible that he doesn't think that you spend enough time with him.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Blu » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:21 pm

Okay. It did look like he regurgitated on it, I have only see him do it once though. I take him out every day to play with him but he still likes his toy more than me. Will he be sad if I take his toy out? I can take his bell and lead him around and even set it on the floor, stand up and walk around him and he will sit there without moving he loves it so much.

Blu
Conure

Postby Wolf » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:21 pm

Try a different bell, or something similar to it.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Blu » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:08 pm

Okay

Blu
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:55 am

Oh, geez, I don't agree at all! The toy is nothing but a poor substitute for a constant companion and that's bad enough in itself! So, unless you are willing to spend 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with him, you should not take the toy away. Personally, I don't agree with keeping a single budgie, it's way too lonely and scary for the little ones to be by themselves but taking the one thing that gives poor lonely Blu comfort is downright cruel. Get him a mate. That's what he really wants and the only thing that will make him happy. And keep him to a solar schedule because only overly hormonal birds regurgitate to toys.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:57 pm

Didn't look at it that way. Did think that it might like another similar one nearly as much, as I was not trying to deprive it of it friend. I do see what you are saying.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Blu » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:10 pm

Okay. Will getting him a friend affect any progress I have made with him wanting to come out of His cage and play? If not it would probably make it easier to tame the other parakeet right? Parakeet see Parakeet do? Also what do I do if he doesnt like the new bird?

Blu
Conure

Postby JaydeParrot » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:29 pm

If the toy hangs from a string, you could try hanging the toy around your neck when you play with the bird to make it associate you with the same good feelings as the toy brings. Though if the bird is that seriously bonded to a toy maybe it need more attention, a new home or at least a new friend.

I have two Sennies and their very friendly, as long as they both get one on one time with you they should both be and remain tame. Never put a new bird in the same cage as the bird you've already got, let them get to know each other first or a fight could result. I don't know much about budgies but I'd aim for a female, I've heard that males will fight. If your budgie's as lonely as he sounds I doubt he'll object to a new friend, just make sure the friend can't go near his favourite toy, that probably will cause problems.
Last edited by JaydeParrot on Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:57 pm

I am not positive but I don't think that budgies have the same issues or at least as much of an issue with accepting other budgies as would other species have. From what I think after going over you posts I don't think that having two budgies would actually create any difficulties and would make for happier birds.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY