Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

African Grey noise

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Re: African Grey noise

Postby sgtpepper » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:04 am

Hello,
Here are some updates :
We have changed their cage, with a bigger (much bigger!) and more suitable for them; they have started eating some "gloop" and vegetables (of course, they are still a bit reluctant, but it's working out slowly)
We have taught the female to step up, and now we are trying to earn the male's trust as he is still a bit scared and bites, but I believe it's a matter of time, as things go better and better:)

About the noise, they still make it, A LOT!. we have found out from another CAG owner who experienced this, that it might be because of stress, and because of their ex-home. The male is the one doing it, and he's also the scared-biting one, so I guess that's the problem.

Also,we are a little worried about their beaks, especially for the female's, as it appears to be peeling off. We have posted a thread in the "health and diet" section with pictures and all:)
sgtpepper
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African grey
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:36 am

I wonder..... Have you tried music? Perhaps some classic rock of some instrumentals ? Yes it could be from stress. It could also be that his system is out of whack. I believe that we have discussed the effects of proper lighting and resetting his biological clock. You know that if he wasn't on a good light schedule and was eating a high protein diet that the screaming could very easily be the result of pain induced by the internal pressures of chronically enlarged gonads? If this is the case proper diet and lighting is the only known remedy and that it is a long slow process.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:34 pm

I think that you are doing everything right and that, in time, he will stop the constant vocalizing. Time, a good light schedule, a good diet, patience and consistency always win the day when it comes parrots.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:55 pm

From all that I have seen and heard, you are doing the best that anyone could do. I also feel that you are doing everything right.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby sgtpepper » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:00 am

Well I really hope that things will be okay and he will settle down.
After a month of trying to get in touch with their previous owners, they finally replied and told me that Dino has been making that noise for all these years, and that it is because of anxiety (and yet they kept them in those conditions).
It's very hard with him as he is always biting and biting and I feel like the "progress" has stopped at following the clicker and touching his beak. But time is the key here as well, so we'll seeeee!

Also,we'd thank you for everything, you've been and you are of great help for us! I am very glad we have decided to adopt them, instead of just supporting breeders, while there are a lot of unwanted birds out there.
sgtpepper
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African grey

Postby Wolf » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:19 pm

I Can't say that it is or isn't from anxiety as suggested but just in case it is just try saying hello when he does it and see if he will pick up on that instead.
Oh, and congratulations on the bath successes as I forgot to say so in your other post.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:15 pm

Oh, geez, poor, poor Dino! Lord knows what he has gone through and what kind of damage that did to his psyche! Thank you again for taking them in! I think that given a good light schedule, a good diet and time, he will get better... just make sure you don't push too hard on the training. In my personal experience, it pays to give them as much time as they need without asking anything in return.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations