Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Will he ever be able to fly?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: Will he ever be able to fly?

Postby Wolf » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:18 pm

I do remember and I really should have asked about him before now. I have been occupied mentally and physically as I recently accepted and rehomed a pair of budgies that have some health issues and have been teaching the new owners how to take care of them and then a young kitten got inside my fenced yard and my 2 100 pound puppies decided to play with it, so it has been touch and go as to whether it was going to survive. I am now sure that it is going to recover although it will be delicate for a while longer.
I am glad that you finally are having some success with Charlie and I do apologise for not asking about him, my bad. I would love to hear more about how you and Charlie are doing.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Newby » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:37 pm

Oh my, you are busy, and I hope it all goes well. No need to apologize. I am happy to connect with other animal lovers. I found a gal in Phoenix who does consulting. I'm considering getting in touch with her. Her name is Barbara Bingham Deutscher, have your heard of her? I will keep you posted on Charlies' successes. I can't keep him on a perch, I'm giving up even trying. He seems to be getting the idea of how to land. He was attached to my husband, who did not share his love, but now he has changed his allegiances toward me. He decided I wasn't so bad I guess. Anyway, I hope this molt ends soon, I think I could make a pillow :(. I like seeing the clipped feathers come off though. Thanks once again. :gray:
Newby
Newby
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey

Postby Wolf » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:51 pm

The kitten is doing well all things considered but it looks like it is going to be mostly blind, it does respond to light and dark and to movement so maybe he will heal and regain some more sight but I don't have much hope on that.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:30 pm

Oh, geez, poor little thing, Wolf! Hope he gets better -blindness is nothing to them but if it's due to trauma, there is usually other brain damage that goes with it. Let me know if I can help in any way.

As to your question, Newbie, no, I've never heard of her. I went to her site and although she lists a number of associations she is supposed to belong to and has pictures taken with several known avian behaviorists, I could not find a single mention of any type of formal education but it's not as if that actually means much when it comes to pet parrot behavior so who knows, she might be useless and she might be great.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Newby » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:39 pm

Wolf, I am so sorry. I had a cat that was attacked by my daughter's dog while we were out of town. It was a horrible thing to have to come home to. My daughter, bless her heart, did what she could (spent $400 at the vet) to help Lucy to no avail. A kitten is so delicate, keep me posted on its recovery progress. I don't think the site thing would be much of an issue with a baby. Hopefully, it will just continue to get stronger every day!

Thank you Pajarita. I think I'll hold off on getting in touch with her. I'm feeling like I'm making good progress on my own. I'm able to just forget the days that Charlie is a little off, personality wise, and focus on how well he is doing and how far he has come. I sometimes think I want too much too fast, a personality issue of my own ;)

Thank you both, Newby
Newby
Parrotlet

Postby Newby » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:43 pm

I meant "sight" not "site". :(
Newby
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Tomorrow will make it a week since we rescued the kitten from our puppies. The kitten has been named Patch and is eating and drinking fine as well as going to the potty in good order. He is on antibiotics and an eye ointment both are twice daily. Other than being mostly blind he is doing great.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Newby » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:45 pm

I'm so glad that sweet kitten has a good, loving home!
Newby
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:10 pm

Oh, that's great news, Wolf! Blind cats do great on their own. I had one for 14 years and people could not even tell she was blind from her behavior, only when they got up close and saw she had no eyes.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:13 pm

Yeah, he doesn't run into things and he does have some vision. He tracks movement of things of about 4 inches or larger. I look at his eyes very closely twice a day and it appears to me that some of the cloudiness is clearing up, but it could also be wishful thinking on my part. He is now running about and acting like any normal kitten would. He did see Kookooloo perched on my hand and came to a screeching halt and back peddled for all he was worth when he saw her. It was so funny to see this , the poor kitten would have turned inside out, if he could have done so, while try to get away from large scary bird.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Indoor Freeflight