Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gl

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Review: Petco Designer Mink Brown Standing Parrot Habitat

Postby Cage Cleaner » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:43 am

Good
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Postby marie83 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:54 am

Cage Cleaner wrote:
marie83 wrote:Ollies cage is 30x24, he only ever flies back and forth in the longest direction, he tends to climb round or hop onto a toy/perch to cross in the shortest direction. Even if he did fly he wouldn't get more than a couple of wing flaps in. Harlies cage (cockatiel) is too small for her imo and is only just smaller than the 24x24 one you have and she is only slightly bigger than ollie. She couldn't possibly fly in it, that makes me sad but she frightens to easily and wont have a sleep cage so its for her own safety atm. She can come out her cage almost all day every day though.

I've no idea why you thought the cage was too big, for a caged smaller species of conure I would say it was a good size, even bigger would be even more ideal :)

30x30x65 is very very large. Keep in mind that volume increases with length disproportionately. That means that a 15x15 is much MUCH smaller than a 30x30. So it depends on waht you mean by "a little" smaller. If it's even 22x22 it's much smaller than a 24x24, rather than a little.

24x24 is fairly standard, even for iron cages. Very few are larger with appropriate bar spacing, and even fewer are much larger.

I also explain why I find it too large in my previous post.

Wow, look I'm sorry if you've misunderstood my post or if I have misunderstood yours because I get the impression you feel like you being slated for you decision. Maybe people don't agree with your choice but they too are just trying to put across why they disagree.
Personally I disagree with your choice- I think the bigger the cage the better, the bar spacing you had was suitable for your bird so your right that big cages with correct spacing are really hard to come by so you were really lucky to come by such a good cage.

I do appreciate the size difference in cages, the cage I mentioned for Harlie I feel is too small for any bird and its not 15x15 like you mentioned. She's only in it for her own safety at night- not my convenience, I would prefer her to have a much bigger cage but we've settled on this one because she has so much out of cage time but even then she should still have a bigger cage, if yours is out nearly all day too then I would say yours is just about ok too.

I would love to have cages of the same size you had for mine- there are design flaws with every cage I've come across. We live in a first floor flat, with Ollies cage the size it is we cannot wheel the cage outside for cleaning or even into the bathroom (we would have to completely dismantle it) so we don't. I have to put sheets and paper on the floor and nearby furniture, take the tray out the bottom and physically climb inside it to clean it properly, attach toys and probably remove Ollie from inside in an emergency if he didn't want to leave the cage on his own. That's not easy as I have joint problems with my knees and hips and I've bashed my head multiple times whilst doing it. Also there's loads of awkward parts to ollies cage where dirt/poop/old food gets trapped so it takes a while to give it a thorough clean (toothbrushes and a spray bottle with a powerful jet work wonders at flushing the crap out).
Its inconvenient of course it is and tbh I would love to not have to go to those lengths but if that's what I have to do to give my birds the best life I can give them then that is what I will do.

Alternatively I could put all the pets in cages that don't give them much space cuz I'm sure my boyfriend would be grateful to have a large portion of his living room back but that wouldn't do the pets much good. Even the mice have massive spaces and I've 21 of them spread through 3 "mansions" as we call them lol.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:59 am

I don't know why you, guys, find it so hard to find a roomy cage with an appropriate bar spacing for an aratinga-sized bird. The ideal is 3/4 but you can go from 1/2 to 1 inch, in a pinch.

Here are two that are decently sized cages with a 3/4 spacing but, if you look in 1/2, there are lots and lots:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=15072

http://www.bird-supplies.net/Three-Foot ... -Gauge.htm

But Marie is correct in that, if the cage is just for sleeping, it can be small. It all depends on when and how many hours the bird spends in it. Some birds like small cages to sleep in, I have a LSC (big bird) that sleeps in a cockatiel size cage. But it's by choice, the door is always open and he spends his day all the way up on a branch that sticks out of a hanging platform, in his box chewing wood or just moving around the birdroom but he likes to sleep in the little cage and I think it's because his box is right under it so he sees it as part of 'his' territory. But, like I said, he only goes into it to sleep.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby marie83 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:34 am

I prefer the bottom link. I think I would still struggle with toy changes and cage maintenance despite the large door though. The interior height is about the same as Ollies current cage but its other dimensions are bigger. Its been 5 years now since I had a serious look at really large cages so it might be time to look again for curiosities sake. I'm happy enough with Ollies cage at the mo, harlie has a big cage in the spare room waiting if I ever feel she's fit for it.

Ollies current cage is similar in style to this one (its bigger and not the same make) http://www.cagesworld.co.uk/p/Skyline_S ... e_Cage.htm

The doors about the same size but a different style. I'm 5'2" and I can stand upright inside it with the tray removed so moving the cage furniture about from the outside is almost impossible for me with the door being so small, we don't use the open top at all because I cant reach easily and the catch is far too stiff. Good job I can just about crawl underneath!! lol.

Someone please remind me of the maximum bar spacing for GCC/cockatiels. I know mine do absolutely perfectly fine with the spacing they have, just not 100% if I can safely get away with a fraction bigger.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Cage Cleaner » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:01 pm

Yep
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Navre » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:37 pm

I also have this cage. I have had it for about six months. I would like to tell you that I bought it after extensive research and analysis, but in truth, when a GCC decided that she wanted to come home with me I just asked the store to give me the biggest cage that had proper bar spacing for a small conure.

I also put some of it together backwards. i just left it that way. The bottom tray slides out from the back, but it didn't seem worth fixing. I use the grate, not the tray up on top.

The cage is open from dawn until she after she puts herself to bed around dusk. The cage rolls easily, and I roll it toward the middle of the room in the day, and back into a corner at night. I never put the seed guards on. Maybe I should. This tiny little bird makes more of a mess than my CAG ever did.

I took the hook off the top. It is just too big and it doesn't fit through the door if I try to wheel the care into the other room for cleaning. The bird ends up spending most of her time on the steel rails up top, or on the open door.

I have had no luck finding replacement bowls for this cage. I managed to mangle one of them. I'm not quite sure how.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:32 pm

It seems that cage manufacturers learned from the same school as most other manufacturers did. Make everything in non standard sizes so that no matter what the individual owner can't find replacements from any source other than the manufacturer, who conveniently no longer makes that item.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:47 pm

She spends so much time on the top of the cage, on the square metal bars, I figured I'd try to modify things for more comfort.

I got an appropriately sized dowel and took my Dremel tool to it to make it uneven. I tension fit it between to two uprights at the front of the cage. She would sit on this instead of the metal bar. The problem was that there was enough tension on the dowel that I was afraid that chewing on it could cause it to break and that might snap with enough force to kill her.

So today I just wrapped the places she likes to hang out with vet tape. It has to be a little softer and it has to grip better.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:05 pm

Rambo and Myrtle chose to eat on top of the cage. I put a piece of plywood on the top for them to have a play patio. They would climb to the top with food in their mouths to eat up there. I feed them on top now. I don't know why I even have a cage for them. It is full of cardboard boxes.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:05 pm

Apparently, purple is the color of some bird-eating, south american predator. She very much hated the vet tape, so I removed it. She had no problem with the blue vet tape i have used on other things.

Apparently, there are also predators in Bolivia that look like brooms. Brooms are not to be trusted.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to Housing