Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Outdoor recall

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: Outdoor recall

Postby Erithacus » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:33 am

I know. Not all birds are the same. My previous grey didn't like treats as reward.
As for my current grey I have to start with offering food as reward as this works for him.
I have a tiel and a conure fly to me without rewarding treats.
Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:38 am

Cool, I would love to see videos of them as well if you can get them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:08 am

This is Clio. She is not harness trained. Recall was done indoor. Of the 10 tiels I have, she is the only one that can respond on cue.

Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Erithacus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:11 am

2 more videos from Kilaya

Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:47 am

Thank you for the videos again. I really do enjoy them. It makes me feel as though I am doing something right for them when my birds come to me all on their own just because they want to be with me.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:56 pm

Yes, you really need to stop the treats because the bird is not really coming to YOU, it's coming to the food - you are actually putting your hand up with the treat in it behind the perching hand, and that's not good training, she needs to come to your hand without you having your other hand up at all or you even holding a treat (what would you do if you needed her to come to you in an emergency and had no food in your hand?!). And this is perfectly doable. I raise my right elbow up and put my arm at shoulder level, parallel to the floor, say: Sophie, come! and my CAG flies and perches on it without my giving her anything ever so, if I can do it, so can you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Erithacus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:58 pm

I agree with you. Offering treats is a starting point to entice him to fly to me. I have cut down on the treats now. I can do indoor recall without offering treats. Anyway Kilaya is not interested in treats now. He is getting stubborn and I have difficulty in getting him to fly to me on outdoor recalls except if I placed him on the pole as shown in the video below.

I am using whistle to call him on both outdoor and indoor recalls. Just in case if he gets out one day, he is able to track me by listening to the whistle. This is a popular method used by the Taiwanese in free flight.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Lizz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:05 am

I like the whistle idea but I really love your babies.
I don't train but mine know things. I say "come'ere" and Myrtle flies to me. It takes Rambo a little longer to get to me.
Myrtle is afraid to go outside since the time the wind caught her and put her in the top of a tree.
Lizz
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Maggie Cagney Lacy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:12 am

I think you are overtraining. Parrots are not dogs or horses, there is no inbred need to please humans in them. If they do something, it's because they want to or, in cases where the food is restricted, out of plain hunger (a practice I despise, needless to say). When a parrot is bonded to you and he/she loves you, he/she will WANT to be with you all the time and that's the driving principle of recall. My Sophie flies to me because, when she does, I walk out of the birdroom with her and have a nice, loving one-on-one session -that's her reward. Zoey flies to me when I call because, although she is out of her cage for 4 to 5 hours and spends most of this time on me, I am mostly doing stuff around the house or working on the computer but when she does recall, I also do a loving session (kisses, scratches, praising her, etc) and that's her reward for it. But recall is not something I do several times a day or even every day. It would defeat the purpose and, eventually, backfire and the parrot will stop doing it (unless it's driven by hunger which is what most professional trainers use to get their birds to perform every time -and even that doesn't work sometimes!).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Erithacus » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:06 am

Lizz wrote:I like the whistle idea but I really love your babies.
I don't train but mine know things. I say "come'ere" and Myrtle flies to me. It takes Rambo a little longer to get to me.
Myrtle is afraid to go outside since the time the wind caught her and put her in the top of a tree.

I am not a bird trainer. The whistle method is taught by a friend. He is a free fly expert. He doesn't use harness in training his parrots. I have no intention to free fly my grey. All I want is to be able to call him from a distance which I failed to do so with my previous grey, Cocoa. She had no problem to "fly there" from 300ft away. But had problem to "come here" even the distance was a few feet away.

This is a video of my late Cocoa.

Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks