Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Update of Harley and Marley

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Update of Harley and Marley

Postby Wolf » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:54 pm

I was in town yesterday so I stopped by to visit with the budgies and to see how they are doing. I needed to trim Harley's beak again as it was getting a bit too long again. I talked to the new owners about trying to get a bigger cage for them as Marley is a little bit aggressive, especially around mealtimes. I even went online and showed them a couple of flight cages that wouldn't break the bank so to speak. We looked at cages and perches for about an hour and went over the pros and cons of different perches and cages.
They are eating Gloop for breakfast and a seed mix for dinner now, so I am happy about their diet for the moment although I did suggest that they increase the amount of leafy green veggies that they get during the day.
I need to check on them again really soon as I also suggested that they start letting them out of their cage on a regular basis in the evenings. I thought that after listening to being told how Marley escaped from the cage and did not give any difficulties about being picked up and returned to the cage that this was a good indication that they were ready. So I told them to just open the cage and let them come out on their own volition. I also covered the placement of the cage in the room to allow them to be able to see outside a little better. Seems that they do enjoy the view quite a bit as their cage is moved over to the windows regularly.
That is about all that I have on them at this time, but they are adjusting nicely.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Update of Harley and Marley

Postby Lizz » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:14 pm

Thank you for checking on them. Has she grown any feathers that don't get pulled out? Is there a problem with them getting a bigger cage? Do they need assistance? I rehomed them because I thought I was not doing good enough so that Marley would grow and keep feathers. She would grow them but not keep them. They were not throw aways. Let me know if the new family needs something.
Lizz
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Maggie Cagney Lacy

Postby Wolf » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:02 pm

No, they are doing very well at this point in time. The family is new to parrots, but I usually check in on them a couple of time each week. If I saw any indication that the birds were not getting what they need to be happy, I would bring them home to join my flock of birds. Happily this is not the case.
As far as the plucking goes, it always takes a while for their to be any lasting improvement.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Lizz » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:39 pm

I mean a bigger cage. I am sure they are being very good to them. I trusted you to get them into a loving home and I am sure you did it.
Lizz
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Maggie Cagney Lacy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:56 am

Ah, such good news! Wolf, tell them to look in CL, I always see flight cages advertised there. They should also check with local petstores as they, sometimes, put the floor samples on sale and all these cages have is dust on them. Are they still getting their milk thistle, dandelion root and methionine in their gloop? He is going to need this for the rest of his life, you know.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:50 pm

Yes they are.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:54 am

Ah, good. Then you should see a decrease in the overgrowth of his beak in six months or so.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:41 am

So I spent the day with the birds yesterday, not really unusual as I do it a lot, but yesterday I had to rearrange things to make room for Harley and Marley and get them settled in.
About a week ago, the family that I had placed them with moved the location of their cage, to of all places their laundry room. I hadn't had the time to get over there to check n them, although I did express concern about the change and its possible effects on the pair. I was assured that they did have a window to look out of and get sunshine and that they were brought out each day for play and other interaction. So Sunday evening, I got a phone call that Marley's feather plucking issue was getting worse and that she just didn't seem to be doing well. So Monday, I went to see what was happening with them and brought them back home with me.
Marley has increased her plucking and although active she has lost weight. I really believe that stress related to her move is responsible for most of the change. Any way I put some gloop with a sprinkle of flax seed on top in their cage on a saucer along with some pomegranate and some finely chopped apple. At this point with fresh water and food, I proceed to focus my attention on my other birds, still watching Harley and Marley from across the room. Then I saw them drop down to the bottom of the cage and went to see what of the food they might be eating. They were not eating the food, they were eating their poop. I cleaned the cage and then they started eating the apple first.
I just finished feeding and watering the birds and will update this a bit later on.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:25 am

Please make them a gloop without beans, just whole grains and small veggies. And give them a different leafy green everyday. I am very concerned about those two, Wolf, because I've never ever seen a single budgie plucking and I've had about 100 of them over the years. Are they getting a multivitamin/mineral supplement? I give mine theirs once a week but, when I first get a bird in bad shape and which was on a bad diet for a long time (and the overgrown beak is a sure sign of this), I do it once a day (as the bottle recommends) for the first two weeks (their eating poop is a sign of a lack, usually minerals but not necessarily only minerals).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Wolf » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:10 pm

I guess I am a bit ahead of you this time as I picked out the beans from the gloop and have already started adding a vitamin/ mineral supplement to the gloop that I am giving them. As a point of fact, I recently started giving all of them a vitamin/ mineral supplement. I just started changing the seed mix that I was using to Totally Organic All in One Seed mix, I got two different bags of it as one bag is sizes for the larger parrots and one bag is sized for Skeeter. Neither one of them has any thing in them other than the seeds and because of this I decides to add a vitamin/ mineral supplement.
I had never seen a budgie that plucked either but she came here already plucked and was improving until this past week when they moved them to their laundry room. I initially had problems getting them to cut back on the seed diet and now based on what I am seeing they were not feeding these bird anything other than seeds, and only made it appear that they were feeding them better and I am to say the least very pissed as I provided them with the items to make the gloop and they should still have a fair amount of those ingredients left even if they had been using it. Based on the fact that Harley and Marley are only picking at it a tiny bit now and then, I know that they weren't feeding it to them at all. Not a problem, I now have them and they will get the care and the attention that they should have.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Parrot Tales