Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cleaning the Carpet

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Cleaning the Carpet

Postby aubreyc » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:25 pm

My boyfriend and I are looking to move out of our rental. Part of our lease agreement is that we have to have our carpets professionally cleaned (in lieu of a pet deposit) when we move out. I have a few stains on the carpet that Nef left. Does anyone have any suggestions on some things I can do before I bring in the big guns? Also, when getting the carpets professionally cleaned, does anyone know if there is something specific I should be looking for that they use to really get the poop stains out?
aubreyc
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue and Gold Macaw
Flight: No

Re: Cleaning the Carpet

Postby Michael » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:33 pm

Not sure. I get poop stains out with just water, poop off, or carpet clearner. I don't know about long term stains though.

One thing I must say is definitely DO NOT have them do the pro carpet cleaning while the bird is still living there. That stuff makes a lot of fumes that could drop a horse. I'm not sure which kind of cleaning they do but I remember someone nearly passing out after spending a day in a place where the carpets were being cleaned.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Suzzique » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:43 pm

You might try some of the liquid Oxy-clean on the stains. It's made to work on food ect type stains. I know it doesn't have a smell so should not bother the birds. I have major problems with sents they can set off my migrains. So if it's something that can set me off I know it's not good for the birds to be around. You might check around in your area as far as the carpet cleaning. Here in southern CA we have a place that doesn't use cemicals for cleanning but the carpets come out cleaner than the places that do use them.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby bmsweb » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:30 pm

Wow Mandy,

The Spot bot looks impressive!
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby MandyG » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:30 pm

I have a SpotBot (pet model) that I absolutely love. You just add some water and cleaner, place the machine on the spot, push a button and then walk away! I use it more for dog messes but on occasion I'll find some bird poop that I missed cleaning immediately and it works wonders on it.

Plus side - does the work for you, you can control the amount of product used and you only use a little bit of cleaner to a lot of water.

Down side - only cleans one spot at a time. Might not be the best if you have a large area to clean. Also depending on your carpet having a really clean spot might make you realize how dirty the rest of the carpet it... :?

Edit Note: Sorry the posts got out of order, I deleted the original and reposted because I posted the url incorrectly.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby TheNzJessie » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:32 am

nappysan oxyaction max should do the trick
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby loisebond23 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:18 am

What is the best way to clean carpet in a mobile home? If there is particle board underneath I would think shampooing would be out.
We can't afford to replace the carpet at first and there have been pets (parrot :swaying: , dogs, and cats) in the home before us.
loisebond23
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:43 am

I don't really know but I would assume that you can still shampoo it even with particle board under it because I don't think that shampooers actually go very deep down in the carpet [the main reason why I don't have any carpeting in my house]. If it is a Berber type [the kind that doesn't have 'little 'hairs' sticking out but it's more like a woven thing] and it's not too soiled, I would assume using one of those foam sprays and vacuuming thoroughly before and after should do it - and, if there are stains, you can always pre-treat them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:01 am

I use Shout. It works and cleans every thing I have tried it on.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Housing