Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Safety of the flock?

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Safety of the flock?

Postby AnimalAffinity » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:02 pm

I am about to get my first indian ringneck parrot and I plan to train it to do free-flight, I have just trained 3 of my budgies to do it as a flock and they have been doing great. I know birds of prey are a big threat around here and I read in a flock birds of prey have more difficulty selecting a target and there are more eyes to watch the sky. Any thoughts on my ringneck flying with the budgies for protection?

I know it's dangerous my birds trained for months and they get excited every day before we go out, they are more fit and active than my house bound birds and I have a much better relationship with them too. I would prefer it if there were no anti free-flight comments.
AnimalAffinity
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, a cockatiel, and an indian ringneck parakeet
Flight: Yes

Re: Safety of the flock?

Postby Wolf » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:41 pm

AnimalAffinity wrote:I am about to get my first indian ringneck parrot and I plan to train it to do free-flight, I have just trained 3 of my budgies to do it as a flock and they have been doing great. I know birds of prey are a big threat around here and I read in a flock birds of prey have more difficulty selecting a target and there are more eyes to watch the sky. Any thoughts on my ringneck flying with the budgies for protection?

I know it's dangerous my birds trained for months and they get excited every day before we go out, they are more fit and active than my house bound birds and I have a much better relationship with them too. I would prefer it if there were no anti free-flight comments.

Your last statement is like after you listen to the pro side of a debate, the speaker then says we are not going to present the other half of the debate as our current speaker might be offended.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby AnimalAffinity » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:06 pm

Just always get my head bashed in when I mention free-flight haha I know it's a touchy subject.
AnimalAffinity
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:43 am

AnimalAffinity wrote:Just always get my head bashed in when I mention free-flight haha I know it's a touchy subject.

Why do you think this happens? Do you think that there is any validity to the views of the others?
What do you think they are trying to accomplish and why?
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby AnimalAffinity » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:27 am

Of coarse there is, I'm just saying that I am not asking this question to debate weather or not free flying is a good idea
AnimalAffinity
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:30 am

Then I am afraid that the greatest majority of people would not be able to comment. Me included.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby AnimalAffinity » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:38 am

May I ask why your so against it
AnimalAffinity
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:51 am

To put it simply, we are concerned with the bird. A bird that flies free in the out of doors is prone to flying away and it doen't know how to survive on its own, because we did not teach it how to find food, or what to eat, or how to avoid predators and so on. This means that unless someone finds the bird soon enough and rescues it that most of them will die of thirst or hunger or be killed by predators or even cars. It is not protecting your bird when you free fly them as you will eventually lose some of them.
I would love for my birds to be able to fly freely, but I also know that to do so puts their life at risk and so I don't do it or recommend it to anyone else.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby marie83 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:52 am

Havent we been through the cons on a previous thread you made or was that someone else?
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby AnimalAffinity » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:49 pm

Yes we have and I decided to do it and I think my birds would rather have a short life doing what they were born to than a long one stuck in a house or cage, if it came to that. That's not what I'm trying to ask here anyway
AnimalAffinity
Cockatiel

Next

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks