Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockatiel and Parakeet???

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Cockatiel and Parakeet???

Postby budgiebuddy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi I am planning on getting a knew cockatiel soon, and I already have one parakeet. I was wandering if anybody knew anything about putting them together(same cage) cause I have heard they get along well. I am looking for stuff like: How big the cage has to be? How to introduce the two together? If I have to put in two different foods(or the same i have heard tiels eat keet food sometime)? What to look here the first few days? and also what ever other tips might be useful.!!!!!!!!! :budgie: :cockatiel: :budgie: :cockatiel: :budgie: :cockatiel:
budgiebuddy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Cockatiel and Parakeet???

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:48 pm

my friend put her budgie and cocktiel together, but i recommend doing research on how to introduce them and also the age of your budgie and how long it as been alone and if it was housed with cockatiels before. i would think it would be better having their own cages and interact outside the cage so the birds have there own space to go back to but thats my opinion.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby pchela » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:04 pm

It is always a bad idea to put two birds of different types in one cage together. They really need their own space to live in. I hope you will reconsider.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Natacha » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:47 am

I would never put two birds that don't know each other together in one cage right off the bat.
While I do know some people who have put two birds together but it has always been after taking the time to slowly introduce their birds first...aka they both had a cage to start with and then eventually moved in together.

You never know if you'll end up with a territorial bird.

Personally, I'm a fan of having one cage for all my birds and putting them in the same room so they can communicate between each other.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Kim S » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:16 am

Budgies and Cockatiels are not best friends. Their characters just clash too much.
Budgies are usually very lively and all over the place. They are assertive bordering on bitchy. Cockatiels are usually very quiet, and shy. They are wimps, really.
If you have a relaxed and easy going budgie and a bad-ass cockatiel that might work out.
But if you have a budgie on the agressive side of the scale, and a cockatiel on the shy side of the scale, theres going to be trouble. The budgie is going to bully the cockatiel even though its thee times its size. I have even heard of cockatiels being wounded by budgies.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby budgiebuddy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:33 am

WOW.Thankyou guys so much I actually am reconsidering. I didn't know any of those things!!! Thankyou for helping me! :cockatiel: :budgie:
budgiebuddy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: budgie

Postby Kim S » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:52 pm

In the same aviary or room, yes. In the same cage, no.
Its a matter of personal space. If the cokcatiel cannot get out of the budgies way theres gonna be trouble. Otherwise they do fine together.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Return to Housing