Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Why bigger cage?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Why bigger cage?

Postby Michael » Wed May 12, 2010 9:20 pm

But I'm comparing Poicephalus to Poicephalus. Their activity level may vary on an individual basis and on all honesty I don't know the complete difference between the species but I would suspect it be comparable. If I were to get Kili the size of the cage like for Cape, I'd have to build an entire room or aviary to match that for the Cape. I mean we can always go bigger and bigger to no ends so having some kind of size limit is practical. From a bigger cage is always a bigger one and you know we can't afford it in terms of price or the space it takes at a certain point.

I don't know if anyone knows but for the first week or so I had Kili in what later became Duke's cage. That green one you may have seen in videos. I had the cage initially for cockatiel, when I got Kili I told the size to employees and they said it would be fine. But since I had Kili in it for the first few days I saw her pacing a lot and seeming uncomfortable with it, not to mention barely fit through the door, so I went back and got the cage she is in right now. Obviously it was stupid to have her in the other cage to begin with but I was told it was ok.

As for cage size recommendations, it always looks like everyone is trying to step on each other to be proud to recommend a larger size as though it is an auction. Store employees try to upsell you and it is easy for strangers on forum to say to spend more money on a bigger cage. To measure how much you care about your parrot by the size of the cage (short of being absurdly small) is inappropriate because as I said there is always a bigger cage yet with the forest being the limit. No matter how many inches we add to the cage, it's still not like being out where there is much more room and things to do. In retrospect I would have probably preferred a few more inches each way but I don't see the upgrade worthwhile until the cage needs to be replaced.

The trouble is when inexperienced people are getting their first bird, they go by what they are told and if the store recommends a cage too small or too big, they end up stuck with it. There's no way of knowing the personality of the parrot early on and how that impacts cage size choice either. For that reason bigger is safer if possible but initially it seems like too much expense until you've had the parrot longer. Kili isn't too crazy in her cage so honestly I do think she has enough room. She spends a lot of time sitting in one place, napping, preening, or chewing. Even when she is out of cage and can go wherever she wants she's not that active. It's only in the training videos where she is doing so many things and moving around but normally she's much more mellow. I think with her personality it's enough cage size but if she were much more active I would have to more strongly consider an upgrade.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby pchela » Wed May 12, 2010 10:34 pm

Well what it comes down to in the end is that only you know your parrot and since I know that you certainly care very much about the well being of your bird then I believe you when you say that she's happy in the 18 x 18. My minimum cage sizes for parrots are larger than a lot that you will find on the internet because I do firmly believe that they need all of the space we can provide and so many people go into it not knowing anything. It is unfortunate that when I worked at the pet store people thought I was trying to get them to spend more money on a cage when honestly I just wanted what was best for the bird. I raised them and knew their personalities and activity levels but people so often bought cages that were too small to save some money (and only one or two crappy toys) and it became an issue for me. In fact, I always told people not to buy a cage from us because they were grossly overpriced and to look on Craigslist or Ebay etc but people still often ended up buying small cages. I just don't understand why you would spend so much money on a bird but then skimp on the cage and toys for it. Anyway, you know what's best for Kili.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Michael » Thu May 13, 2010 5:41 am

Not to mention when you depreciate the cost of the cage over the parrot's life and compare to the amount you'll spend on other things, the cage actually comes out to be one of the smaller expenses! :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Postby TheNzJessie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:07 pm

i like cages that are wider not taller, thats why i moved my budgie into a flight cage as you saw, he uses every inch of the space provided. when he was in a tall cage he only used the top so you can basically cut the cage in half which i think most people are looking at then they look at your cage. i think kili's cage is big enough if the bottom was cut off and stuck to the side lol so its wider XD obviously unrealistic there but when i buy cages i try to go wider than taller. birds get more room to move about and not feel constricted. if i were you i would probably hunt around for a wider cage there is no rush but if you find one at a good price go for it. just my opinion. :)
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby TheNzJessie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:12 pm

in other words i think kilis cage is the right size just the space is not in the right place :) like if you tipped it on its side if you can imagine that would you see her using all the room? just to give you an idea
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby skeetersunconure » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:16 am

im wondering now i have the same cage that Michael has and kili and skeeter are almost the same size i would say although skeeter is probably a little bigger because his tail is so long. well i recently upgraded to this bigger cage and he seems to be okay in it he dosent seem cramped or anything i have always wanted to get him an aviary eventually but right now he seems to be okay in his cage? its not like he spends all his time in it what should i do? i have always been the one to say bigger the better so now i feel bad :( is it to small for him?
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby Michael » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:13 pm

I think it's fine. I'm in no rush to upgrade Kili's cage. The extra few inches neither justify the expense nor the stress of changing right now.
Michael
Macaw

Postby skeetersunconure » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:19 pm

ya i really dont see anything wrong with it either
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby pchela » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:44 pm

*sitting in the corner holding my tongue*
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby notscaredtodance » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:23 pm

How does everyone feel about size of travel cages?

The one I've got for my senegal is literally not even big enough for one parakeet, has 3 guillotine doors (that i twist tie close) and one perch in it, but I only used it to take her to the vet, and I put her in it and let her sit outside in the sunshine when I do full cage cleanings with a hose and everything.

She has to duck down just to get in the door, and thank goodness she trusts me enough for me to shove her in that little hole. But she only stays in the cage for 2 hours tops, usually more like 1 hour though. I've seen travel cages that are really all out and fancy, but considering the only places I plan on taking her are to my backyard, and to the vet, I don't see the need to invest in one, when the one I have now does it's job.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

PreviousNext

Return to Housing