Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gl

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Review: Petco Designer Mink Brown Standing Parrot Habitat

Postby liz » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:53 pm

LOL. I know dogs run from a broom. I didn't know they were bird predators.

There must be fly swat predators in Belize. Rambo will shake his little tail feathers to get in another room. Flies are common in the sun room. Poor Myrtle couldn't run away from the dreaded fly swat. I would tell her I was bug hunting to warn her what I was up to. When I hit one I said got it. She says got it when she hears a fly swat.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:33 pm

Navre wrote:Apparently, purple is the color of some bird-eating, south american predator. She very much hated the vet tape, so I removed it. She had no problem with the blue vet tape i have used on other things.

Apparently, there are also predators in Bolivia that look like brooms. Brooms are not to be trusted.

My birds are used to the broom because I sweep the birdroom twice a day but it needs to stay on the floor or, like some kind of weird Transformer, it turns into an evil thing :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:44 pm

I have an electric broom that picks up bird seed. The birds tolerate that better than a broom. Which is really good because I also use a floor scrubber vac.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:39 am

I'm old-fashioned when it comes to cleaning products, I buy a grand total of 5 of them (cleanser, Clorox, dish detergent, glass cleaner and metal cleaner) and still use corn brooms. My husband has been wanting to buy me some kind of mop they advertise on TV but I know I wont' really use it... But I do have one of those expensive, super sucking, never lose suction specially made for pet hair vacuums! :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:38 pm

I bought a Java wood perch-type thing and mounted it vertically on top of the cage. The way I mounted it, it has a several horizontal perches for her to perch on. She currently won't go near it, but she's not screaming at it or staring at it, so eventually she will be climbing on it.

Java wood without bark seems too hard and too slippery, but it's less hard and less slippery than the square metal bar on which she currently spends half the day. This is higher and she can see me from there. She should end up using it.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:43 pm

Pajarita wrote:I'm old-fashioned when it comes to cleaning products, I buy a grand total of 5 of them (cleanser, Clorox, dish detergent, glass cleaner and metal cleaner) and still use corn brooms. My husband has been wanting to buy me some kind of mop they advertise on TV but I know I wont' really use it... But I do have one of those expensive, super sucking, never lose suction specially made for pet hair vacuums! :D

I use that poop-off stuff. I find it desolves the poop pretty well, and although I don't totally trust the statement, it says it's safe for birds. It also doesn't chew up my hands like bleach does. I haven't investigatrd if I canuse simple green around the bird.

I'm thinking of just covering the entire house in newspaper. The question is, do I get the paper I don't like, symbolically saying that it's only good for lining a bird cage, or do I get the one I do like, thus giving them much needed circulation numbers?

I think they're both going the way of the Carolina parrot, anyhow.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:57 pm

Some newspapers will give you left over newspapers if you tell them why you want it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:11 am

I have a daily subscription to the local newspaper not only because I read it every day but also because I need it for the birds' cages but I have so many that I also use all the supermarkets and other stores weekly fliers plus any brow wrapping paper that comes my way (Amazon.com stuffs their boxes with loooooong sheets of brown paper crumpled up and I religiously straighten them all out and fold them to use under the cages).

I don't like manzanita or java wood, I have a few of them and use them on occasion but I mostly use regular tree branches.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby shiraartain » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:51 pm

I wish fajr was more afraid of cleaning supplies. When I vacuum, he will fly to the floor and run around just beyond the vacuums reach. the first time he did this i stopped immediately and picked him up, afraid that it would hit his tail or feet and he would be injured. Now I keep an eye out for him and pop him onto my shoulder before vacuuming if he's in the room.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby Wolf » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:28 pm

shiraartain wrote:I wish fajr was more afraid of cleaning supplies. When I vacuum, he will fly to the floor and run around just beyond the vacuums reach. the first time he did this i stopped immediately and picked him up, afraid that it would hit his tail or feet and he would be injured. Now I keep an eye out for him and pop him onto my shoulder before vacuuming if he's in the room.

Good idea ! I have read about more than one bird being seriously injured or killed after being eaten by a vacuum cleaner. Most of mine are too big for this to happen, but I make sure that they are caged before I vacuum.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Housing