Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Alternatives to Bird Kabob

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Alternatives to Bird Kabob

Postby Kirsten » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:54 pm

I like to drill through popsicle sticks and clothes pins on put them on one of those bird-kabob things that are made of some sort of safe metal. Problem is, they're like $12 a piece and I'd like to have more than one homemade toy in Skittles' cage. So I'm looking to see if there are some sort of cheap alternatives.

I did look into pipe cleaners, but I'm pretty sure the wire has zinc on it and I'm not certain that the dyes used are bird safe.

Are there any everyday materials you can use to thread things on? Preferably something I can go out to a store and buy and not have to order online?
Kirsten
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: No

Re: Alternatives to Bird Kabob

Postby marie83 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:10 pm

Leather laces from petshops, possibly craft shops.

Untreated sisal or other natural fibre ropes although I dont think these are the safest of all the options for smaller species.

Stainless steel chain or wire but then you will also need some cutters from a DIY/Hardware shop or you may be able to get them to cut it to size before you leave.

Or just get a couple more of the stainless kebab sticks because although they aren't the cheapest thing they will be cheaper in the long run than the leather and definitely cheaper but less flexable in their use than the stainless chain/wire.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:30 pm

I can sell you 5x 1ft lengths of parrot safe chain with a bell at the bottom and hanger at the top for $20 and free shipping (in US). You can reuse them indefinitely. That comes out to 3 times less than what you're paying for the kebob thingies. The main thing is that the hole size must be 1/4" or bigger. Let me know if you'd like that or any other combination or length. I have the toy making supplies on hand.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby arham » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:36 am

Glad to help. I probably shouldn't be advertising or endorsing here, but I've always been very happy with their delivery time and customer service. The toy selection is awesome and it's rare that things are on backorder.

I went a little nuts with the sale...the new baby is going to have enough toys for six months or more, even if he's a first class destroyer! I love the selection of foraging toys. They have the best spectrum I've seen.
arham
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY