Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Teaching cockatiel how to fly -safely-

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Teaching cockatiel how to fly -safely-

Postby cholla46 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:47 pm

Hello all,
Recently my cockatiel, who is roughly a year old and has had his flight feathers trimmed pretty recently, started to fly. .__. Now I was already thinking of letting him learn, I just figured I'd have more time to prepare what with his wings being clipped. But for whatever reason he is now able to fly at least 10 feet in one bound. I have a dog and two cats, with gates and doors set up all around the house to control who has access to where and when...but the gates are kind of useless with the whole flying thing. Needless to say the first thing my bird did was fly over TWO gates and through a sort of arch-doorway thing (not an actual door, just like the doorway? if that makes any sense. My house has several of these), right into the living room where the dog would normally be. Everything was ok because the dog happened to be elsewhere, but the question is- how do I train my 'tiel to fly up onto safe places, like the china cabinet or even the table, but not into other rooms? My last bird could fly, but he kind of intuitively seemed to be able to stay out of trouble and we were in a different house then anyway. Any suggestions on flight training in general would be very much appreciated as well.
:pied: Thanks in advance!
cholla46
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: Teaching cockatiel how to fly -safely-

Postby Wolf » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:02 am

I have not had much luck in training my Senegal to not fly to other rooms or to only land in safe places. One of her favored things to do is to fly down the hall and into the bedroom and land right in the center of the bed. This would not be bad except for the cats that are sprawled out on the bed, usually between 4 to 7 of them at any given time.
I have hung screens, just like curtains in most of my doorways and this limits where my birds can fly pretty effectively. The only other suggestions that I have are targeted flight and recall training for your bird, and to close cats and dogs off from birds with solid or screened doors.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Return to Indoor Freeflight