Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

help me!!

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

help me!!

Postby chika » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:56 pm

hi guys i reaaalllyyy need tips on teaching my bird tto talk so if you can help me that would be sooo great thnx!!! :swaying: im on the look out for tips XD
"But a bird that stalks down his narrow cage
can seldom see through his bars of rage
his wings are clipped and his feet are tied
so he opens his throat to sing"-Maya Angelou
chika
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: quaker
Flight: Yes

Re: help me!!

Postby Wolf » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:13 am

I can understand how much you want your bird to speak to you, it was great listening to them on you tube, but it is even more amazing when they do so in person to you. Unfortunately there is not a lot that you can do to get them to speak. There are a few things that you can do to encourage them to pick up the knack of human speech, but largely they either will or they won't and no one knows exactly why this is so.
They are attracted to speech that has a rhythm to it, they tend to pick up on things that are said loudly or with more than normal emotional content and they like singing and often will pick up words and phrases that are sung. They will sometimes speak when they don't see anyone around, but not when they can see anyone. This may or may not be related in some way to flock and contact calling, but no one knows for sure. That is all I know about getting any bird to speak other than repetition which all of us are aware of. They do seem to learn to speak in much the same manner that babies learn to speak.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:00 pm

Yes, Wolf is correct. I have also noticed that birds that don't feel the need to communicate with humans when they are very young simply never learn to speak like us. But, in truth, they are so intelligent that they don't need to use human words to make themselves understood. If you pay attention to her own language (both vocalization and body), you will see that I am right.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:37 am

When you have a cat or a dog you use the same words when you talk to them: do you want out, are you ready to eat, did you miss me, hello, bye bye, pretty bird and etc.

Unlike a dog or cat that can only hope to make you understand, a bird will use the words that you say to explain itself. The funny part is when they string some words together to say a sentence.

Rambo amazes me all the time. The funniest was when he got closed in a dark bathroom. He yelled "MOMMA, C'MERE AND PICK ME UP RIGHT NOW. I answered him and he said HURRY HURRY QUICK QUICK.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby chika » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:09 am

yeah yesterday i was upstairs with clover and i asked if she wanted to go to our second to oldest sister and when i bought her close to my sister she growled pretty loudly. last month i was in oour basement playing wii when she started jabbering in gibberish to me so i was like "yeah" or "wow" and when she finished i was like " i really liked your life story clover" but other than that when im gone reading upstairs or something i hear her practice talking alone and i come down stairs she gives me the ' what? i wasnt doing anything im innocent!' look. and if i accidentally forget to open their cage in the morning she screams until im there and i tell her she will lose her voice if the does that. another thing is i was talking to my cousin over the phone and she told me that her parakeets were bobbing there heads when she was listening to the piano version of a anime themesong of the anime fairy tail.
chika
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:29 am

I show my birds videos from you tube of birds speaking all of the time, I leave a radio on or let them watch TV with me and mostly I spend a lot of time speaking with them whether they are on me or in their cages. The more that they are exposed to speaking the better chance there is for them to begin imitating it and then learning to speak cognitively. They are very smart and can pick up words very quickly once they master how to form the words.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby chika » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:21 am

well our birds havent been around speaking a lot because of the quarantine yesterday was their first day out for real.
chika
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:55 pm

If she is speaking when she is alone, she might be 'practicing'.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby chika » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:52 pm

ok so wolf said he couldnt see picures of the birds so maybe this will work..

https://animoto.com/play/y761ITXA6NuO2l6iwWwfIw

plz send feedback.
chika
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:48 am

Very nice slideshow, the overlay of the sites logo was a bit distracting, but I was able to see all three birds, thank you very much.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations