Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

what woods are ok to use and what woods are not ok

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: what woods are ok to use and what woods are not ok

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:59 am

TheNzJesse wrote:im also confused wiht all the lists online thats why i created this thread so people can list form there knowledge what to use out of experience rather than science

Ok I have to admit this bugs me...maybe because I Am a scientist...

Seriously, no individual is going to have enough experience to trump what went into naming those lists. If the list seems too hard to understand it might be better to buy ready made items or components stated to be bird safe. I would be willing, personally, to assume that common lumber wood that is toxic would be catalogged as such and would probably avoid exotic woods. A look at woods commonly used for perches in your area should provide some safe bets.

As for cleaning compounds, I would be quite careful. Wood is porous and is apt to retain some of anything used on it. In addition common disinfectants only work on nonporous surfaces. Bbaking or freezing are probably safer than using anything stronger than soap and water.

I have seen bamboo perches in the store but they appear thoroughly dried and possibly baked out.

Oh and I am no expert but I believe aging lumber refers to after cutting -- it allows the wood to dry and some of the volatile compounds to disperse.

Oh
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby TheNzJessie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:16 am

trust me its no offence i believe in science more than anything......i just wanted to create as much of a discussion as possible. i take chemistry biology and physics at school. no offence at all.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby TheNzJessie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:17 am

and about the discussion about subspecies would be quite interesting to research. or cross bred trees.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY