Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Top 10 Reasons for Clipping

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: Top 10 Reasons for Clipping

Postby Jodie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:34 am

Maybe someone can list ten reasons they believe we have the right to go around clipping bird's wings.

Yeah, I'm dead against it.
Jodie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Kim S » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:32 am

I'm not against clipping. But I'm not pro either. I prefer my birds unclipped. However, Peewee is clipped by his pervious owner and there are some definite advantages to him being clipped.
The most important one to me is that I can take him anywhere I like without having to be afraid he gets spooked and fly away. The weather here is sunny and warm at the moment (pretty unusual for Holland :D ) and I love to take him outside, put him on his perch and just let him do his own thing. I feel that I can give Peewee a much more diverse environment this way.
In time, I would like to train him to accept a harness and be able to fly free. But till that time, I prefer him clipped.

As far as the young cockaltiels and budgies go, I have a different strategy. Clipping budgies and cockatiels to make them tame is the biggest load of ****. Buying a young bird from people who socialize the birds with people will be bigger advantage than clipping their wings. So all the birds I sell are unclipped, with one exeption. Sometimes young birds that just learn to fly will fly around like kamikaze pilots. They smash into walls, ceilings, lamps, kabinets, anything that comes in their way. If it takes them more than 3 days to figure out how to fly slowly to avoid those obstacles, I clip them just a little bit (3 of 4 feathers on each side) .They need to put in more effort to fly, so they are forced to slow down.

To Jodie: What gives us the right to put a bird in a cage to begin with?
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby Jodie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:50 am

Absolutely nothing. I don't believe we should be breeding parrots as pets. But while I've got one to care for, I'll do everything I can to ensure he has the best life possible. I don't recommend parrots as pets, nor would I ever purchase one.
Jodie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure

Postby TheNzJessie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:02 am

i ahve always owned birds that were clipped when i got them. my rainbow lorikeet i have now is the first bird i have had who has never been clipped. he flew into a wall once (yesterday) but its like a child you cannot protect them from everything you learn form mistakes and he has not flowen into the wall again once he learns that he can turn and i set up some perches to fly onto he will be fine.

i actually think there are more dangers with clipped birds than unclipped birds

clipped birds cannot get away from danger
i feel clipped birds are forced to stay in one place for training than using positive reinforcement, if he jumps away the owner userly doesn't take that as he has had enough and just sit him back on the perch again not giving the bird any choice.
clipped birds are more prone in injuries (hard falls)
clipped birds have weaker muscles around there heart which can lead to an early death

unclipped birds have more freedom, the owner can exercise positive reinforcement a lot more
unclipped birds will run into walls at first but learn from there mistakes but a clipped bird will always fall
unclipped opens a new window to new tricks and free flight which cannot be done wiht a bird that is clipped

personally i think if you dont want a animals that flies get a rabbit, a rat a cat a dog. there are plenty to choose from.
Last edited by TheNzJessie on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby TheNzJessie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:07 am

i really only condone clipping if the birds have a disability. there is a cockatoo at franklin zoo and he is clipped because he plucked all his feathers out (out of bordem) and was given to franklin zoo. but he plucked all the ones under his wings and he would fly in a zig zag to the ground and crash big time. so they clipped him and completely changed his environment to suit him and make sure he got his exercise in another way.

but i think under this circumstance it was fine. not if your bird is fighting fit
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:25 pm

I had my Tiels clipped when they lived outdoors for a year last year, purely so that they could come out + about with me, they weren't allowed inside and + would've gone mad if they didn't have their cuddles and scratches every day.
I was also considering clipping my Tiel 'Birdie' because she had one wing that had been broken, and she really struggled to fly inside, she'd prefer to walk everywhere anyway. But she flew away before I got the chance the other week. :(
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot