Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

will clipping my Greys wings stop him bullying our Cockatiel

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: will clipping my Greys wings stop him bullying our Cockatiel

Postby liz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:21 pm

I am not able to look at the web site. Pajarita's post has made me so angry. I know that it happens but I want to hurt those people. Even seeing what is on craigslist turns my stomach.

Thinking of the cruelty to helpless animals makes me irate.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:44 pm

I hear you Liz, but in case you didn't notice the link is to a poem.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:00 pm

And it will have you crying like a baby halfway through.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:28 pm

I get so upset at evil, neglectful and just plain stupid people. I have to stay away from them and not think about it. I just do what I can when I can to help the helpless.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:49 pm

I thought that it was appropriate considering where the thread was going.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Barry1955 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:37 am

Hi all, thanks for the posts.

Update on Louis behaviour.

Apparently when Louie and Broland stayed at our Daughters home ( Louie had Brolands cage, which is only slightly smaller than his own, but his will not fit in car rear ) ( Broland shares with Daughters 2 tiels, a grey male and a Lutino female in a large cage ) our daughter told us Louie would sit next to the Lutino on top of tv, but bullied her grey tiel and Broland ( grey male ).

We dont know what sex Louie is.

Yesterday, boyh Louie and Broland had been sitting happily on their own cage, resting quietly and preening for at least an hour, when for no apparent reason Louie pounced on Broland. I had been sat next to Lpuies cage all this time, and had sown no attention to Broland ( Louie gets 99% of my attention any way ( the devil is pesterig me as I type ! )
Could it be behavior linked to either the colour and/or sex of the tiels ?

PS
Did anyone see the tv documentery the other week about Parrots, showing people who took in unwanted pts and ended up running resue centres - the part about the abandoned Cockatoo rescued from empty house with no food or water; when tat other cockatoo in the rescue centre approached him and cuddled up to him made me break down ( Im crying now ). At least hes with people and a mate that love him. :gray: :greycockatiel:
Barry1955
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 yrs old Congo African Grey and 16 yrs old Grey Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:18 pm

Yes, I did see the documentary and it is the second time of seeing it for me, moving isn't it?
Greys are usually pretty docile birds but a cockatiel is even more so, this could be the heart of the problem. My Grey, a female, does not like the other bids enough to socialize with them. She is ok with them as long as she has her own perch and she is not inclined to sharing it. She doesn't allow any person or bird or any other animal to be near me if she is on me. She has a problem with my Senegal, who doesn't listen to her on this matter and is quite capable and willing to defend her right to do as she chooses to do. Even my little parrot knows how she is, but counts on me to stop her from attacking. She is alright with the other birds while on her cage top as long as they don't go over there, but I have to be on constant guard if they come to me when she is with me. Greys are not noted for liking other species of birds, but usually don't bother ones that are bigger than themselves or ones that are able to fend them off for themselves.
A cockatiel can't defend themselves from a Grey.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Blu » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:44 am

What really surprises me is when my Green cheek named Connor will try to chase Blu off my shoulders and so he can get kisses and have em whistle to him but this tiny little budgie will puff up his "crest" and chase Connor off!!! It doesn't always work but I have had to get Connor out of there a few times because Blu wasn't having any of it. I just crack up when I see this tiny bird chase of a bird that's like four times his weight.
Blu the Budgie :budgie2:

Connor the Green Cheek Conure :gcc:
Blu
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet, Cinnamon Green cheek Conure

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:55 pm

Yep, the little ones seem to be fearless and would think nothing about 'taking on' a much larger bird. GCCs do it with bigger birds, too.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:00 pm

You should see Skeeter, the parrotlet go after Kookooloo, my CAG or make a mad dash to attack my 100 pound mutt, who is passing through to go outside.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Indoor Freeflight