Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Birdie Bread

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Birdie Bread

Postby Kathleen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:14 pm

There's some hype about Birdie Bread from other parrot owners. (http://www.mommabird.com)

I've never tried this. Have you heard of it? What are your thoughts about it? Is it worth it? Do your birds enjoy it?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: Birdie Bread

Postby Mona » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:20 pm

Thanks Kathleen for the welcome.

Regarding bird bread: On the one hand, it is easy and convenient. Most birds will eat bread and you can put any thing in it. You can also freeze it so you can make a month and a half worth of bread for later.

On the other hand: It can be fattening and drive up cholesterol levels for sedentary birds. For years, I fed a recipe to my cockatiels that had a lot of oil in it. My tiels loved it but my hen developed fatty liver disease. She also always had high cholesterol. I was fortunately able to turn it around by changing her diet (to sprouts) and I realized that I was preparing the bread and putting too much oil in it. You can always substitute ingredients but you need to be very careful that you are not adding too many fattening ingredients or you can endanger the health of your birds.

I have since learned that cockatiels actually benefit from having some seed in their diet. They are nomadic in Australia and most of their diet consists of grasses and seeds.

Personally, I prefer feeding raw foods and supplementing with organic pellets. I feed fresh sprouts, carrots, broccoli, oranges, apples, jalapeno peppers and Harrison pellets daily. Of course, we add fresh fruits and veggies as they become available and the birds also get to sample a bit from our dinner at meal time so they feel like part of the flock. I give them samples in their cages (so they don't think they need to be on the dinner table) and I make sure these samples are small.

Thanks

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby Kathleen » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:03 am

Thanks for the reply Mona. I was thinking about how it could be fattening for birds. I guess birdie bread is a good alternative than just bread (or other grains) alone.

I might try birdie bread just once because Duke doesn't eat bread or other grains, I'd want to see if some millet in it would make him eat bread sometimes. :budgie:
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby Mona » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:14 pm

I think you would be fine if you watch your ingredients. If you are not feeding it every day like I was, you will probably also be fine. Have fun with Duke! :budgie:
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby Natacha » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:57 am

It's fairly easy to do bird bread. I've done it a couple of times.
Like Mona, I'd rather give fresh fruits and veggies but the occasional piece of bird bread won't do any harm.
I've actually replaced oil in the ones I've made...I *think* it was with some type of baby food to keep moisture, but I'm not sure anymore. Should look up the recipe..
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Batman » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:37 am

Here is my friends birdie bread recipes. I am planning on making it for my caique soon.
or you can buy it at www.drbeex.com
2 boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
4 eggs
1/4 cup milk
3 tbs. oil
1 cup raisins
1 cup diced apple
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup grated zucchini
Pre heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix first 4 ingredients together in large bowl. Add next 4 ingredients and mix well. Grease and flour 2 bread pans. Bake at 400 for 35 mins. Variations: You can substitute any fruit or veggie such as: blueberries, cranberries, bananas, broccoli, squash, caulflower, green beans, raspberries, spinach, nuts, pineapple, etc. You can also use other muffin mixes such as the oatmeal, bran, etc. Be creative and use your imagination. You can freeze any leftover bread or prepare it in advance and freeze for future use. Serve warm.
\
Batman
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Black headed caique
Flight: No

Postby MissLady9902 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:51 am

I know in a lot of health food recipies they exchange oil for applesauce. I'm not sure of the ratio's though. I bet there's a recipie out there somewhere!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Crazy Bird Lady » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:44 am

I havent tried making birdy bread yet, but intend to once the weather cools down for a few days. the recipe above looks pretty tasty! A few weeks ago i found this really good youtube video on birdy bread, this is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7amso23WrJs
parrots arent mere ornaments, and they're hardly "just a pet" they are intelligent and emotional creatures who want our companionship. As a bird owner, its a pleasure to make my parrots lives as happy, enriched and healthy as possible
Crazy Bird Lady
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: 5 Budgies and 2 Cockatiels

Postby Crazy Bird Lady » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:47 am

Batman wrote:Here is my friends birdie bread recipes. I am planning on making it for my caique soon..................................

3 tbs. oil

Do you think it would be ok to use cod-liver oil, or flaxseed oil for this recipe?
Or is there any other oil people would recommend?
parrots arent mere ornaments, and they're hardly "just a pet" they are intelligent and emotional creatures who want our companionship. As a bird owner, its a pleasure to make my parrots lives as happy, enriched and healthy as possible
Crazy Bird Lady
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: 5 Budgies and 2 Cockatiels

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet