Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

greenhouse for the birds?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: greenhouse for the birds?

Postby Wolf » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:05 am

I could not find anything that mentioned what metal was used in making the frame work. If you have a magnet could to check to see if it sticks to the metal pieces or not and let me know, please? I have pulled up and downloaded the assembly manual for this greenhouse and am in the process of going over them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby AnimalAffinity » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:53 am

Thanks soo much what does it mean if a magnet sticks?
AnimalAffinity
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, a cockatiel, and an indian ringneck parakeet

Postby Wolf » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:54 pm

If the magnet sticks it means that the metal is probably steel and if it does not stick then it is probably aluminum. This affects both weight and strength.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:34 pm

While dragging things out of storage I realized how many medium to large cages that came with some of my birds. If I ever get settled in down there I might try to match them together but then their is the contact with wild bird problem.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby AnimalAffinity » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:33 am

It does stick
AnimalAffinity
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, a cockatiel, and an indian ringneck parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:33 pm

But, what is it, exactly, that you want to attain with this greenhouse? Because this is a completely different concept than an aviary as it has plastic all around which would make it sweltering in there during the warm months so you would have to come up with some kind of air circulation method (and it would still be too hot during the summer - aviaries are open on all sides). It's also too small for them to fly around and too flimsy for them to be in there by themselves so you would have to sit in the middle of it and monitor them which doesn't seem practical. If you ask me, taking the bird out in a cage or in a harness would be much more practical for you (I take mine out in a cage when I work in the garden), comfortable and healthier for them (they do make plastics for greenhouse with UV blockers but I don't know if the plastic they use for this one is one of them).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby marie83 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:14 pm

Think perhaps the op was going to replace the plastic with mesh on the top and one or more side. Either way I can't see it working because the frame looks too flimsy.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Wolf » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:21 am

The strength of the frame is one of the factors that is causing me difficulties. I think that fiberglass panels could be fitted on the top and screwed into place with a large washer to keep the screw from being pulled through the panel. With the same being done along the sides and back along the bottom. I am thinking that the OP could cut some standard half inch hardware cloth to fit from the lower fiberglass panels to the roof panels and take the resulting mesh panels in and get them powder coated before installing them using the same method as the fiberglass panels. the major difficulty is in making and fitting a door. I am still working on that part.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:29 am

When you get to this point you have to decide if it would be cheaper to create this from scratch accounting for the man hours of work or would it cost more in the long run than buying an aviary and just building onto it over the years when you have time and money.
Are you trying to build this way because you got a cheap greenhouse frame? Would brackets and untreated wood work out better? Are you going to rip your hair out before it is done? If it gets done
My ideal way would be to start with the brackets and use untreated wood for a frame. I thought of this. It would only work for me if I got volunteers to do the work otherwise the time involved would be taken away from time with my feathered babies.

I bought 2 new flight cages for $104 each. I was going to string them together to make a 9 foot long flight cage that I could push out on the back deck when the weather was right and pull them back in when it got hot or cold. The only problem I would have there is that my backyard is a wild bird habitat. I can't even imagine the number of birds and species of them that live and nest in those red tip bushes (25 feet tall).

I have put my idea on a shelf for a while and let it mull in the back of my mind.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Previous

Return to Housing