Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

cockatiel and princess of wales parakeet

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

cockatiel and princess of wales parakeet

Postby cbm » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:18 pm

Does anyone have experience with housing a cockatiel and princess of wales parakeet together in a large cage? I have a tiel and am adopting a princess of wales parakeet next week. I've read that princess of wales parakeets do well in avairies so I assume they get along with other birds. Once I get the new bird I will have a transition period before I would place them together. My tiel is an older male who had a mate but she died and for various reasons I don't want to get another cockatiel.
cbm
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: 1 double yellow headed amazon parrot
1 blue fronted amazon parrot
1 cockatiel
2 parakeets
Flight: Yes

Re: cockatiel and princess of wales parakeet

Postby liz » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:00 pm

I never put birds together, I open cage doors and let them fly. When they have had enough they go back to their cage. Not until they all go to the same cage do I leave them together. I still watch them very close for a few days.
The only time this did not work is when I tried it with a Love Bird. They did well flying together but the Lovie took over the cage and the cockatiels were all up in one corner scared of him.
Cockatiels are such passive loving birds that almost anything can bully them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:46 pm

I will begin by saying that I do not have a princess parrot, so in order to find an answer to your question, I had to go looking. I find that they are recommended to be raised in aviaries with up to 3 to 5 other pairs of their own species. In every case where it suggested an aviary as housing for this parrot it was always in with other parrots of its own species. Since it was always worded that it be with its own species in an aviary, I do not think that this species is that friendly with parrots of another species. It also mentioned that this parrot was somewhat unique in that it and others of its own species will mob other birds, to run them off.
There are many birds that are suggested to be kept in an aviary with others of its own species only because of the space required for the bird to exercise its normal behaviors and has nothing to do with the suitability of housing it together with birds of other species. It is always best to purchase parrots in pairs instead of as single birds as they are highly social and always do better with other of it own species around it. While they are highly social they are also territorial and flock oriented and if a bird is not a member of its own flock their will be fights in defense of its territory and flock.
In captivity, it helps to have more than one parrot even if they are not of the same species but this does not mean that they should be housed together as in most cases it simply will not work. There are a few know occasions of two bird of differing species living together in the same cage, but it is not the norm.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Wolf is correct. When you are talking about parrot species that are 'aviary ones', we mean parrots that are not really good as 'companions' to people but do very well in a large aviary with others of their own species.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby cbm » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:36 pm

Thanks for the info - I appreciate it.
cbm
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: 1 double yellow headed amazon parrot
1 blue fronted amazon parrot
1 cockatiel
2 parakeets