Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

can you teach a bird to fly back home?

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

can you teach a bird to fly back home?

Postby Hawk » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:22 pm

i hate that my parrot is locked in a cage. can't i just walk with him outside to breath air and if he flys or just feel scary to fly back home? i know that it takes training, but is it even possible to make your bird automaticlly fly back home when he is scared? i know that you need to show him around the house and etc. this is really stuck in my head that question. :irn:
Hawk
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: can you teach a bird to fly back home?

Postby Wolf » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:08 am

I don't know of anyone that has done this. If it is possible then that is likely the only place that he would fly, just as in the case of the homing pigeon. Even some of them never grasp this skill and this is what they are bred for.
I do believe that taking your bird either in a small cage or while wearing a harness and showing it all around its home may help if your bird flies off, but Don't count on it. I would love to take my bird outside unrestrained, but the risks are just too great. Our companion birds do not have the skills to survive very long on their own. Add to this the danger of predators ranging from dogs and cats to owls and hawks to the dangers of being hit by cars it is just not worth the risks to pursue this line of training.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:49 am

Why don't you free fly in the house. Sometimes Myrtle does laps through rooms.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:42 am

I seriously, seriously doubt you can teach a parrot to 'go home' once he is flying outside. If this was possible, professional trainers would never lose any birds and they all do. Besides, as far as I know, only domesticated species do that (homing pigeons, chickens, etc)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Hawk » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:00 pm

that's too bad... nevermind it's just tellimg me why parrots should be in the wild and not taken as pets.
Hawk
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby Erithacus » Wed May 06, 2015 9:28 am

I have just spoken with a friend who lives in another state. He has a sun conure and an african grey. Both are free flying. Whenever his grey goes out, she will fly till out of sight. She will come home when she is done flying. Sometimes she will just hang out in a tree. She will come back when my friend calls her. The conure just flies around the neighborhood, not as adventurous as the grey. I have seen pictures and videos of him with his parrots outside. My friend is not even a good parrot trainer but somehow he has 2 amazing parrots. I hope to visit him next month.
Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 06, 2015 10:34 am

Yes, but for how long? Parrots flying unsupervised never last long doing it. Even with supervision is not 100%, just look at all the birds taught recall by professionals that have gotten lost (Michael himself lost two of his) because, eventually, the parrot will go looking for a mate. Survival of the species and the drive to procreate is the strongest force in all the Universe and no training will ever suppress it...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby JaydeParrot » Wed May 20, 2015 1:48 pm

Pajarita wrote:Yes, but for how long? Parrots flying unsupervised never last long doing it. Even with supervision is not 100%, just look at all the birds taught recall by professionals that have gotten lost (Michael himself lost two of his) because, eventually, the parrot will go looking for a mate. Survival of the species and the drive to procreate is the strongest force in all the Universe and no training will ever suppress it...

When did Michael lose two, I thought he only lost Truman?

I agree though about not free flying. There was a guy on youtube who had a free flying African Grey, he let it free fly at the top of a tall apartment, it got grabbed by the wind, it tried to fly back, but it couldn't, he never got the bird back.

There's also the issue of your parrot being too tame to care about predators- a parrot perched in a tree may ignore a bird of prey and get attacked.

Free flying is a ridiculously complex thing and even the best can get it wrong, unless you're prepared to chance your parrot, train them to wear a harness.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Postby liz » Wed May 20, 2015 4:19 pm

JaydeParrot wrote:
Pajarita wrote:Yes, but for how long? Parrots flying unsupervised never last long doing it. Even with supervision is not 100%, just look at all the birds taught recall by professionals that have gotten lost (Michael himself lost two of his) because, eventually, the parrot will go looking for a mate. Survival of the species and the drive to procreate is the strongest force in all the Universe and no training will ever suppress it...

When did Michael lose two, I thought he only lost Truman?

I agree though about not free flying. There was a guy on youtube who had a free flying African Grey, he let it free fly at the top of a tall apartment, it got grabbed by the wind, it tried to fly back, but it couldn't, he never got the bird back.

There's also the issue of your parrot being too tame to care about predators- a parrot perched in a tree may ignore a bird of prey and get attacked.

Free flying is a ridiculously complex thing and even the best can get it wrong, unless you're prepared to chance your parrot, train them to wear a harness.

Michael lost Truman?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Wed May 20, 2015 8:30 pm

Yeah a while back, but he recovered him in a day or two.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks