Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rocko Improving

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Rocko Improving

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed May 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Today I went out with Rocko because my mam was collecting my sister from school and Rocko only bit the harness twice but then he stopped and he didnt bite it anymore hes getting more comfortable having it on I think he now knows Harness means he gets to go outside and when we were in a shop a man said to a woman look at the budgie and I was thinking in my head Budgie lol and I have a question I know birds are less active when they are moulting so would this be a reason for flying less because since he started moulting he hasnt been flying. :flapping: :cockatiel: :pied:
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Rocko Improving

Postby Wolf » Wed May 13, 2015 10:08 pm

I am certain that it would have an effect on his desire to fly and even moreso of flying while wearing a harness as the new pin feathers are itchy and irritating enough while just sitting quietly but also get to be quite painful if the are bumped or moved too much and can be a major problem for them if any of them get pinched or broken before they are fully grown and free of the sheathing material.
Glad to hear that he is adjusting so well to his harness.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu May 14, 2015 1:53 am

Wolf wrote:I am certain that it would have an effect on his desire to fly and even moreso of flying while wearing a harness as the new pin feathers are itchy and irritating enough while just sitting quietly but also get to be quite painful if the are bumped or moved too much and can be a major problem for them if any of them get pinched or broken before they are fully grown and free of the sheathing material.
Glad to hear that he is adjusting so well to his harness.

Yeah im not gonna use the harness for a while because he has a blood pin feather on his back and it hurts him if u touch it so i dont want him getting hurt.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Thu May 14, 2015 9:05 am

Great idea, I am definitely in agreement.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu May 14, 2015 10:05 am

Wolf wrote:Great idea, I am definitely in agreement.

Remember that anti pek spray I was talking about and somebody said its for chickens I was just looking at the petstore online website and I forgot theres two different ones but same brand one has a picture of chickens (orange bottle) and the other has a budgie,canary and cockatiel on it (blue bottle).
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Thu May 14, 2015 10:19 am

Yep. Now the $100 question is what if any are the differences in ingredients. Sometimes the manufacturer will repackage an item with no other changes to break into a more lucrative market, same product, different packaging, higher price. They will do this even if they know that the product is not good for the bird. You just can't trust them or be too careful.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 14, 2015 11:18 am

It's the same thing with a different bottle: Denatonium Benzoate, a super bitter compound and the same thing they add to antifreeze. Problem is, most parrots like bitter.

He shouldn't be molting right now so, please, re-evaluate his diet and light schedule.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu May 14, 2015 11:46 am

Pajarita wrote:It's the same thing with a different bottle: Denatonium Benzoate, a super bitter compound and the same thing they add to antifreeze. Problem is, most parrots like bitter.

He shouldn't be molting right now so, please, re-evaluate his diet and light schedule.

Excuse me! He is moulting you cant just say he shouldnt me moulting right now when he is.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby liz » Thu May 14, 2015 1:01 pm

ParrotsForLife wrote:
Pajarita wrote:It's the same thing with a different bottle: Denatonium Benzoate, a super bitter compound and the same thing they add to antifreeze. Problem is, most parrots like bitter.

Excuse me! He is moulting you cant just say he shouldnt me moulting right now when he is.

She means he shouldn't be moulting at this time. There for you have to check for why he is.
Quite a few of my cockatiels are moulting I believe it is because of the 11 hour trip to get them to FL.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Thu May 14, 2015 1:41 pm

Yes she can and it is a good thing that she is sharing this fact with you. There is a big difference between he shouldn't be molting and he isn't molting and she did not say that he wasn't molting. Herein is part of why you don't like what she share, you are misunderstanding what she is saying.
All birds parrots and other birds go into breeding cycle once or twice during the year, with most of them doing so only once and then there is normally a short waiting period and then the molting cycle begins for most of our parrots this is usually in late July or the beginning of August. This is when he should start molting. We are seeing an increase in birds molting earlier than their normal molting times but only in the captive birds are we seeing this occur this much earlier. This suggests that some of this trend is due to climate change especially where we see it occurring in the wild birds. In captive birds we would still se this trend ,but since some of them are starting both of these cycles so much earlier than normal there must be other factors adding to this effect. Most often the reason for this type of change is due to either diet or lighting schedules, this is due to the fact that parrots are photoperiodic, which is a fancy word that says that certain bodily functions are triggered and/ or otherwise affected by the color or frequency of the light as well as by other qualities of the light. The other major trigger is food as they tend to go into breeding condition when food that is high in fat and protein is most available. This is what she means by the statement that he should not be molting yet. This is why we study and research on our birds as much as we do, so that we can know the difference of what should be and what is as it gives us a much better chance to correct what we can as soon as we can.
Does this help you?
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to General & Off Topic