Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rocko Improving

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Rocko Improving

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu May 14, 2015 3:34 pm

liz wrote:
ParrotsForLife wrote:
Pajarita wrote:It's the same thing with a different bottle: Denatonium Benzoate, a super bitter compound and the same thing they add to antifreeze. Problem is, most parrots like bitter.

He shouldn't be molting right now so, please, re-evaluate his diet and light schedule.

Excuse me! He is moulting you cant just say he shouldnt me moulting right now when he is.

She means he shouldn't be moulting at this time. There for you have to check for why he is.
Quite a few of my cockatiels are moulting I believe it is because of the 11 hour trip to get them to FL.

All birds moult at different times and its summer when I had budgies they moulted close to summer and close to winter and other random times and hes actually changing colour he is turning absolutely lovely
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu May 14, 2015 3:38 pm

Wolf wrote:Yes she can and it is a good thing that she is sharing this fact with you. There is a big difference between he shouldn't be molting and he isn't molting and she did not say that he wasn't molting. Herein is part of why you don't like what she share, you are misunderstanding what she is saying.
All birds parrots and other birds go into breeding cycle once or twice during the year, with most of them doing so only once and then there is normally a short waiting period and then the molting cycle begins for most of our parrots this is usually in late July or the beginning of August. This is when he should start molting. We are seeing an increase in birds molting earlier than their normal molting times but only in the captive birds are we seeing this occur this much earlier. This suggests that some of this trend is due to climate change especially where we see it occurring in the wild birds. In captive birds we would still se this trend ,but since some of them are starting both of these cycles so much earlier than normal there must be other factors adding to this effect. Most often the reason for this type of change is due to either diet or lighting schedules, this is due to the fact that parrots are photoperiodic, which is a fancy word that says that certain bodily functions are triggered and/ or otherwise affected by the color or frequency of the light as well as by other qualities of the light. The other major trigger is food as they tend to go into breeding condition when food that is high in fat and protein is most available. This is what she means by the statement that he should not be molting yet. This is why we study and research on our birds as much as we do, so that we can know the difference of what should be and what is as it gives us a much better chance to correct what we can as soon as we can.
Does this help you?

And how in any way would this help me if i never asked for help I dont know why we are all talking about moulting for Rocko is moulting big deal I know all about moulting already I have good teachers. :hatching:
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu May 14, 2015 3:43 pm

He really is changing looking back to his baby pictures aww hes so cute. :pied:

ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Thu May 14, 2015 9:22 pm

My apologies for my attempt at sharing with you, my mistake. I know you now and it will not happen again. Thank you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 15, 2015 11:53 am

ParrotsForLife wrote:And how in any way would this help me if i never asked for help I dont know why we are all talking about moulting for Rocko is moulting big deal I know all about moulting already I have good teachers. :hatching:

I think you are misunderstanding the object of this site. It's to help birds. The fact that people are receiving the advice is that birds depend on their humans for everything and, when they don't do everything right, the birds are the ones that suffer the consequences. Furthermore, the reason why we are talking about Rocko's molting is that you mentioned it's happening right now but right now is breeding season, not molting season so, as it is the wrong time of the year for this to happen, we are giving you a heads-up that his endocrine system is out of whack (it's the only way a bird molts during breeding season). If your 'good teachers' didn't explain this to you, they couldn't possibly be good as they either did not know this important fact or they did but did not care enough about your bird to mention it. We care about your bird, same as we care for ALL birds whether they belong to us or to somebody else. And, yes, it is a big deal because a malfunctioning endocrine system also means a depressed immune system. All these are scientifically proven facts, not our personal opinion but, please, do not take our word for it, do some research and you'll see. I am sure that, when you do and see that we were right, you will want to do right by Rocko and change whatever husbandry practice is causing it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri May 15, 2015 12:35 pm

Pajarita wrote:
ParrotsForLife wrote:And how in any way would this help me if i never asked for help I dont know why we are all talking about moulting for Rocko is moulting big deal I know all about moulting already I have good teachers. :hatching:

I think you are misunderstanding the object of this site. It's to help birds. The fact that people are receiving the advice is that birds depend on their humans for everything and, when they don't do everything right, the birds are the ones that suffer the consequences. Furthermore, the reason why we are talking about Rocko's molting is that you mentioned it's happening right now but right now is breeding season, not molting season so, as it is the wrong time of the year for this to happen, we are giving you a heads-up that his endocrine system is out of whack (it's the only way a bird molts during breeding season). If your 'good teachers' didn't explain this to you, they couldn't possibly be good as they either did not know this important fact or they did but did not care enough about your bird to mention it. We care about your bird, same as we care for ALL birds whether they belong to us or to somebody else. And, yes, it is a big deal because a malfunctioning endocrine system also means a depressed immune system. All these are scientifically proven facts, not our personal opinion but, please, do not take our word for it, do some research and you'll see. I am sure that, when you do and see that we were right, you will want to do right by Rocko and change whatever husbandry practice is causing it.
I know birds moult at a certain time but not always if theres a change in temperature or anything they moult and Rocko has been moulting a long time now and hes coming out of the moult not starting and some birds moult all year round now can we please stop talking about moulting I already know what moulting is so stop talking about it I could care less wether you care about him or not I come on to this forum for help on what I ask and I only take concern from the people on talkcockatiels so let them do that job and you people on this forumn just answer my questions and dont ask questions its that simple.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby liz » Fri May 15, 2015 3:00 pm

What are you, 4 year old? At least 3/4 of the people in this forum are older than you which means they have been around and learned more than you. I got my first birds over 40 years ago. I took good care of them. Since I have been on this forum I have learned what I need to learn (almost I hope). If I am doing something wrong they will tell me. Rambo is 20+ years old and could not fly. With info in this forum from Wolf, Pajarita and the others he has gone through his first good molt and grew flight feathers. True he only flies a foot of the ground but he will get there.

We have had young people on the forum who really did for info on the web and come back with stuff to help us. Then there are those who only want to tell us about there birds and don't want to be instructed on what they could do better. Which young person do you want to be known as?

Answer your questions and don't ask questions which means you will not give up enough info for your question to be answered properly.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri May 15, 2015 3:14 pm

liz wrote:What are you, 4 year old? At least 3/4 of the people in this forum are older than you which means they have been around and learned more than you. I got my first birds over 40 years ago. I took good care of them. Since I have been on this forum I have learned what I need to learn (almost I hope). If I am doing something wrong they will tell me. Rambo is 20+ years old and could not fly. With info in this forum from Wolf, Pajarita and the others he has gone through his first good molt and grew flight feathers. True he only flies a foot of the ground but he will get there.

We have had young people on the forum who really did for info on the web and come back with stuff to help us. Then there are those who only want to tell us about there birds and don't want to be instructed on what they could do better. Which young person do you want to be known as?

Answer your questions and don't ask questions which means you will not give up enough info for your question to be answered properly.

You know what I mean by answer the questions dont ask questions I mean dont ask questions that are off topic My first bird I got was when I was 13 and im 14 now well I have a african grey since I was 8 but that dosent really count because I didnt do anything with it back then and I know I dont know everything about parrots thats why my friends on talkcockatiels help me but on this forumn I dont want yous to go off topic I just want my questions answered and if you wanna know more about me and Rocko you can go on the Talk cockatiels forum and look at my threads im brandon2k14
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby liz » Fri May 15, 2015 3:34 pm

ParrotsForLife wrote:
liz wrote:What are you, 4 year old? At least 3/4 of the people in this forum are older than you which means they have been around and learned more than you. I got my first birds over 40 years ago. I took good care of them. Since I have been on this forum I have learned what I need to learn (almost I hope). If I am doing something wrong they will tell me. Rambo is 20+ years old and could not fly. With info in this forum from Wolf, Pajarita and the others he has gone through his first good molt and grew flight feathers. True he only flies a foot of the ground but he will get there.

You know what I mean by answer the questions dont ask questions I mean dont ask questions that are off topic My first bird I got was when I was 13 and im 14 now well I have a african grey since I was 8 but that dosent really count because I didnt do anything with it back then and I know I dont know everything about parrots thats why my friends on talkcockatiels help me but on this forumn I dont want yous to go off topic I just want my questions answered and if you wanna know more about me and Rocko you can go on the Talk cockatiels forum and look at my threads im brandon2k14

The people on this forum are constantly researching for more info. You want them to research your bird so you don't have to answer the questions? Get with it.
I always called Rambo a pedestrian because he never flew. It was Wolf and Pajarita that figured out he was not getting the nutrition he needs. (His previous owner fed him junk food because he begged for it.) They also told me to get a bird light. Flying one foot off the floor is better than being a pedestrian.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri May 15, 2015 4:14 pm

liz wrote:
ParrotsForLife wrote:

The people on this forum are constantly researching for more info. You want them to research your bird so you don't have to answer the questions? Get with it.
I always called Rambo a pedestrian because he never flew. It was Wolf and Pajarita that figured out he was not getting the nutrition he needs. (His previous owner fed him junk food because he begged for it.) They also told me to get a bird light. Flying one foot off the floor is better than being a pedestrian.

Ha your very funny I never said for them to research for my bird so I dont have to answer questions I do research myself seriously cop on I like people helping me out and not asking questions off topic if I suspect something is wrong with Rocko I would ask I dont need people telling me stupid things when im the one thats living with the bird.Dont judge people you dont even know I may be young but I know alot and I certainly dont need people giving me information I already know wolf and pajarita actually help me out unlike you arguing on a forum grow up and stop fighting with a kid.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic