Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Outdoor recall

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: Outdoor recall

Postby Wolf » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:02 am

Birds appear to be a very popular past time, I guess that is the best way to put it, in Malaysia. Is this true or just the illusion because you have birds and would normally go to places where there are other bird? There appear to be a lot of people who free fly their bird so what is the general attitude if someone loses a bird as far as recovery of it goes? As you can probably tell, I know nothing about the people there.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:04 am

I was wondering the same thing. I also wondered, do you not have birds of prey in that area? I would love to take Myrtle out and let her fly but she is too innocent and I am afraid something will get her.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Erithacus » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:33 am

Parrots are getting very popular in Malaysia. Most of us own more than 2 parrots. Free fly is not popular here yet. There are only a handful of people who free fly their parrots. Unlike in our neighboring countries, Thailand and Singapore, there are free fly groups. Free flying in Malaysia is only confined to some individuals. I can't tell how they would feel if they lose their parrots. Every individual feels for his/ her parrots differently.

In Asian countries we have the advantage of buying babies as young as 2 weeks old. I was told the best way to train the birds to free fly is during hand feeding period. And choosing the species to free fly is also very important. According to a friend, he has never lost a conure before. He has trained many conures to free fly. Conures are the best small parrot to free fly.

Another guy prefers to free fly macaws. He has a few free flying macaws. According to him, macaws are the best large parrots to free fly. He would select to potential babies and would sell the non potential ones away.
Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Wolf » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:27 am

Actually, I was meaning more along the lines of if someone lost a bird by whatever means, would people be more likely to help them to recover their bird or would they not seem to care or even keep the bird if they found it or what. Just a general idea, I guess of the nature of the people.
I have no reason to think that they would be any different than people are here. If I lived in the cities then I would think that more people would be inclined to keep the bird or sell it. I live in a rural area and if they found the bird I would think that as long as I had put out the word that they would keep an eye out for it and let me know if they saw it. I guess I was wondering how the culture would affect the peoples general outlook and actions. It is alright it would probably just be speculation anyway.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:30 am

There are all kind of people. Once a friend lost his grey, his neighbor called telling him his grey was in her house after seeing his flyer. Another friend lost his green cheek and he noticed someone took down his flyers pasted around the neighborhood. He suspected that person found his bird and by removing the flyers nobody knew he had my friend's missing bird.

As far as I know, most of the lost birds were never found. I am not sure if there were people helping to look for the missing bird. There were a few lucky cases that their birds came home. One of my friends' grey had escaped thrice. He came back each time he went out.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Wolf » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:39 am

Thank you very much. That was exactly what I was looking for. Having never traveled outside of my own country, I always wondered what effect, if any, that the different cultures had on this type of basic behavior.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:44 am

I met my friend who has a free flying grey. He kept his grey at his work place and he let his grey out when he goes to work. According to him, the longest his grey had been away was 2 days. Most of the time she came back on the same day. I didn't have the chance to see him free fly his grey as we met up in town.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:30 am

With the number of eagles and hawks in my area, I worry just taking mine outside for some sunshine and fresh air.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:38 pm

This morning's exercise.

Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:51 am

Thanks for the new video, I really enjoy them. At present none of my birds are ready to try this as so far they don't want anything to do with their harnesses, it remains a work in progress. I will keep trying though as I think that it would be good for them to go outside and fly. They all came to me from situations where they were mistreated and with most of them gaining their trust was a time consuming process and in some areas still a little hesitant.
I am curious, you mentioned that your friends look for certain traits in the birds that they choose for free flight, I am curious to know if you look for the same traits and if so what these traits are.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks