Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Daily routine

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Daily routine

Postby jancijen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:04 am

So i made new topic. What should i do daily with my nipping lovebird to tame him? (i change water, food and target training about 15 minutes per day) Thanks :)

Btw: this is my story :D - theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10608&sid=03c5792b3ebda6d155b8f83571fb2137
jancijen
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Daily routine

Postby jancijen » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:48 pm

?
jancijen
Cockatiel

Postby janetafloat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:28 am

A good place for you to start is to follow Michael's thread which is directly above this one: How to teach parrot to step up and come out of cage'
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby jancijen » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:36 pm

Yes i know about it. I was sitting before cage ... i was feeding him from hand ... and now i am doing target training. I wanna know what should i do daily :) something like scheudle for me and my parrot :)
jancijen
Cockatiel

Postby marie83 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:46 pm

Well I think you should spend more than 15 mins doing taming and training a day. I would set aside 10 mins or so maybe 3 times a day to begin with. Try to work round your birds schedule though, when your birds having quiet time in the afternoon isn't the best time nor is right before bedtime
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby jancijen » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:48 am

Hello again, I am still sad because my parrot is still biting my hand :( When i am feeding and i by mistake touch the cage with fingers he wanna bite them :/ when he is only on cage bars and i am trying to get with finger nearer he sometimes stay, when i am nearer he is opening beak and sometimes he do strange sound like click (is it warning sound or something like this ?).... I need to help which routine is good and i wont have to spent long time cause i need to study etc... :/ I wanna to feed him without distracting him with millet (sometimes he doesnt wanna millet and go right to my hand (he ll bite my i think :/ ).. Thanks in advance :/
jancijen
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi jancijen;

I started to just answer this post in my normal way, but something just didn't sit right about this one so I went back and read all of your posts since you joined. Basically, I discovered that since May of 2013, you are still right where you started, despite that you have been given the answers to your questions by several people and several times. I was then going to ignore this post, but I just couldn't do that, so I have read all of your posts several times. The number 1 reason that you give for your failure is you don't want to take the time. You don't want to take the time to teach your bird to stop biteing because you have to study and/ or because the bird bites. Picture this in your mind,(You have a little bird that bites---You need to train your little bird to not bite---You will not train your little bird to stop biting because it bites ) Does this make any sense to you?

So why don't we begin all over again, since that is where you are anyway. Why don't we begin with you telling me what is going on, things like how old are you, what level of school are you involved in, and what is really going on between you and bird. Maybe we can figure out what to do and maybe not but lets see, shall we?
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby jancijen » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:34 am

Yes u r right... also i am lazy a bit... but i am also scaried of being bitten :/ so iam 16 yrs old and i am student of grammar school (2nd class of secondary school) and i spent a lot of time by pc games, workout and study.... when i end my homeworks and some jobs like tiding.... i am tired so i just change him water and food (sometimes every 2nd day)... i dont know what more to say... but i ll try to get it bette cause this behave of my parrot makes me sad :(
jancijen
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:38 am

OK !

I need to think about this for a bit. I will come back to this later this evening and we will try and figure this out. Meanwhile tell me more about your daily schedule, you know what times do you usually do what activities. Also tell me all about your bird, please.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby jancijen » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:08 am

Ok.

So mostly i come to home from school about 15:00 then i learn (for about 2-3 hours, sometimes more or less...) then i tidy up a bit (30 minutes), rest a bit - watch TV, play PC games (about 2 hours) and i am doing a workout routine too (now not cause i am still ill) for about 30 minutes... then it is about 20:00, change water and food for my parrot and clean a bit (15-20 minutes) and then it is about 20:20-20:30 and i watch tv serials and rest.

About my parrot.. so he is parent raised, he has one injury - finger on left leg (broken or something like that) this happened when he was little... i had some pairs of lovebirds (and them sold them... that s also made me sad cause i did mistake but i cant get it back now... ) and he born with his brother... he hasnt feathers on head (only body), so i let him to stay with me and now he has full body with feathers. he is about 2 yrs old now. he is a bit shaking his tail and end of wings feathers when i give finger a bit nearer to him... (maybe he is really teritorial or something like this :/ ) i dont know what more say :D he likes millet :D he has 2 toys (1st - 2 wooden rings (when he was littler he was sleeping in this ring), 2nd (he has it about 2 weeks) - wooden swing on rope with a little wooden balls and ring down on it)... he is able to do target training well (i think)...

I dont know what more should i say :) feel free to ask me any questions :)

(sorry for my bad english :D, it is not my natonial language :) )
jancijen
Cockatiel

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training