Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My orange winged amazonian is really scared first day at hom

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

My orange winged amazonian is really scared first day at hom

Postby artiseven » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:09 pm

my bird is really scared its been more than 6 hours that i brought him home hes still shivering. he wont eat sleep nor drink. hes been standing on the same exact spot of the perch for hours and wont move a muscle nor talk. when i get a little near his cage he shivers more and when i put my hand in the cage to interact with him he shivers and corners himself and opens his mouth. im really frustrated and i dont know what to do i wonder how i will clean his cage and shower him if he keeps doing this. please help me. im extremely frustrated!
artiseven
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Orange Winged Amazonian parrot
Flight: No

Re: My orange winged amazonian is really scared first day at hom

Postby Dave & Karen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:32 pm

Be patient with your new friend, He's in a new home and nothing's familiar to him so he's going to need some alone time to get used to his new surroundings.
Try just talking to him and see if that calms him or not, if not, then you'll want to give him some space to just relax and get settled in. This can take a day or 2... or it can take weeks, just be patient and don't expect too much from him right away.

Some birds come home playful and ready for anything while others may need to get used to their new surroundings and family members etc... this is normal. You may open the cage door and step away to see if he'll come out, just don't make him do anything he don't want to do while he's trying to adapt to his new home.
Dave & Karen
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet
Lovebird
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Indian Ringneck
2 Quakers
DYH Amazon
Cockatiel
2 Budgeis
Flight: Yes

Postby artiseven » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:18 pm

thanks for the reply but actually ive hidden a security cam in my room and i everytime i left he climbs around in the cage, eats, drinks and so on. i just wonder why he wouldnt do all this when im around
artiseven
Parrotlet

Postby Polarn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:09 pm

I have a question here? have you been able to interact with him prior to bringing him home? I basically just wonder if you bought a tame or untame bird, if you bought a a bird that has had minimal human interaction things will take longer but it is definitly doable to get him tame and a pleasure to have around, how old is the bird? it also affects the results, well not the results but what may be in the way of reaching the desired results.
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Postby artiseven » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:23 pm

i dont know if hes tame or not but i assume he is. in the parrot store he was standing on his stand along with his other parrot friends no problem until he got here. hes 7 months old i believe. maybe even less hes a bit small.
artiseven
Parrotlet

Postby artiseven » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:25 pm

the video of him being normal when im not around is in my instagram @abdulrahmanarti
artiseven
Parrotlet

Postby Dave & Karen » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:43 am

IT sounds normal to me, he's in a new environment and needs to adjust, he won't come out of the cage or eat with you in the room right now because he don't know you mean him no harm yet, but it's a good thing that he's eating and coming out of his cage when you're not in the room. Now you just need to spend time in there with him, maybe open his cage but don't try to get him out, sit on the other side of the room from him and see what he does, but try not to look directly at him or stare at him as this will make him even more nervous, just talk to him softly or like you would talk to a baby or small child. If you can find out what treats or food he really likes, you can walk up to the cage and place a treat in his bowl then walk back to the other side of the room. He may or may not go after the treat right away but he'll know what you put in there, you may need to leave the room for a few minutes if he's really timid so he can get the treat, but eventually he'll take the treat as soon as you're clear of his cage. After he's ok to take the treat and eat it while you're in the room you can start shortening the distance you walk away after leaving a treat until you can hand a treat to him. Again, be patient, this can take a few days to a few months so you don't want to scare him by moving too fast with his training.
Once you reach the point where you can hand him a treat, you can start making him come to you for the treat by keeping it slightly out of his reach so he has to come to you for it, then increase this distance til he has to come out of his cage for it. Always give praise when he takes the treat, even if he just grabs it from his bowl while you're on the other side of the room from him.

After he's more comfortable around you you can start asking him to step up, he may or may not, but give him the treat as a reward either way at this point... you're not training him yet, just building up trust so reward no matter what.

He will come around but it can take anywhere from a few days to a few months, it's important that you don't go too fast with him or scare him as this will just reverse any progress made. Just take your time and he'll find you to be his best friend before you know it.
Dave & Karen
Conure

Lovebird
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Indian Ringneck
2 Quakers
DYH Amazon
Cockatiel
2 Budgeis

Postby artiseven » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:36 am

thank you so much your advice is genius but i have one question. what if i wana clean his cage or give him a shower. how will this work if i cant get near him ??
artiseven
Parrotlet

Postby Dave & Karen » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:19 am

Giving him a shower at this point would not be recommended at all, wait til he trusts you really well before trying to get him in the shower because he'll be scared at first and may not like the water or getting wet so you'll want to be sure you have a strong bond with him first.
To clean out his cage, you can try to see if he'll step up onto a stick ( we use a 3 foot long wooden dowel as it puts us further from the shy bird) and bring him out, then you can perch him just far enough from the cage where you can work on it. He'll either make a dash for the cage when you're done and walk away or you may be able to step him back up onto the stick to get him back to the cage. Don't forget to praise and reward if he steps onto the stick as that would be considered progress.
Dave & Karen
Conure

Lovebird
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Indian Ringneck
2 Quakers
DYH Amazon
Cockatiel
2 Budgeis

Postby artiseven » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:08 pm

hes not wanting to come out and hes more scared. is it ok to keep the cage dirty till we bond cause it looks like this is my only choice. btw thank you very much dave and karen you have no idea how grateful i am to be talking with you now. thank you ♥
artiseven
Parrotlet

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training