Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Taming/Training One Bird with Two People?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Taming/Training One Bird with Two People?

Postby GreenWing » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:20 pm

cml wrote:I think you did anyway.

Dude, you outright called out Pajarita on something related to parrots and I merely disagreed with you on your point. I apologized for the reaction gif. I removed it because I didn't want to hurt your feelings even though my intentions were not meant to do so. Let it go. We can disagree on this forum for many things and that's fine -- your way may not work for others, and vice-versa. Not everything is so black and white in the world.

cml wrote:Dont worry, from the looks of it she's already left the forum.

How do you know?

cml wrote:I'll be taking a break from the forums now, so this is my last entry for a little while.
Again, good luck to all of you, and I am sure I will be back soon.

That's your choice, but I hope you return sooner with no hard feelings. I just praised you in another post.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:57 pm

CML, that birds are photoperiodic is not something that I came up with, it's a scientific fact and that's why I present it as such.
See here:
http://birdsandlighting.com/articles/photo.html
http://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/1 ... chapter-17
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... h7/summary
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.100 ... 06085-8_16
http://www.bestofbreeds.net/masterbreed ... light3.htm
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 007-0172-y
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract
(some of them might need a subscription for the whole thing)

The only thing I say that it's 'of my own' about the 'magic' of photoperiodism is that, based on my experience caring for hundreds of birds (I would say, off the top of my head, that the number is around 400) in more than 40 years with passerines and 22 years with psittacines, it works like a charm (a magic charm?). And it has nothing to do with the window glass having UV blockers or not (I don't know where you got that from -that would only affect vit D3 production).

As to their living in a room with other birds, personally, I think it's how they are happiest for the simple reason that it's closest to what their life is supposed to be. Nature always knows best. We, humans, think we do but it's just arrogance on our part. Look at what they now found out about fevers! We have been suppressing it for almost 200 years and now they found out that doing this messes up the immune system and that, if we only allowed fever to run its course, people would get better sooner! I can almost hear Mother Nature going: "Told you so!"
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby KimberlyAnn » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:42 am

One of my friends has been slowly going blind for years. Sadly, for the last three she has become completely blind. She suffers from Non-24 disease. Because she can't see the sunlight, her internal clock does not reset every day. Time is added and subtracted...days and nights are confused. People who work nights, also can go through this because the cycle is not natural and either is the lighting. I see this in my husband when he has to work graveyard for long periods of time. Plus he turns into an...! ;)

We don't require as much sleep as birds, cats, or dogs do...but a solar schedule is important to us too. I have sleep issues and I've heard time and time again from doctors, "Get up with the sun." There is a reason that some have to use curtains on our windows to sleep in. Our body knows to wake up when the natural light hits. I've also been told that in order to reset my clock, go camping for a week and don't use unnatural lighting. Fire/candles are ok. Don't know why, I didn't ask or do it for that matter. I don't have time and I would rather be in a hotel if I'm going on vacation that long! Lol

So next time you get up at the crack of dawn to feed your birdies, know you are doing yourself a favor! :)
My family: "Emmi" Green Cheek Conure (12/15/2012), One husband, two step kids, and one baby boy born in January 2015!
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby cml » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:44 pm

GreenWing wrote:
cml wrote:I think you did anyway.

Dude, you outright called out Pajarita on something related to parrots and I merely disagreed with you on your point. I apologized for the reaction gif. I removed it because I didn't want to hurt your feelings even though my intentions were not meant to do so. Let it go. We can disagree on this forum for many things and that's fine -- your way may not work for others, and vice-versa. Not everything is so black and white in the world.

cml wrote:Dont worry, from the looks of it she's already left the forum.

How do you know?

cml wrote:I'll be taking a break from the forums now, so this is my last entry for a little while.
Again, good luck to all of you, and I am sure I will be back soon.

That's your choice, but I hope you return sooner with no hard feelings. I just praised you in another post.

Appology accepted.

And I know Weka has left the forums (or at least gone inactive) as you can see when someone last was active if you click on their username. Weka hasnt been online since 12th of february.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby GreenWing » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:18 pm

cml wrote:Appology accepted.

And I know Weka has left the forums (or at least gone inactive) as you can see when someone last was active if you click on their username. Weka hasnt been online since 12th of february.

Cool. :D We're all too good of friends around here to hold grudges. :) Glad to see you back, too :danicing:

And thanks for the update on Weka. I hope she comes back soon with updates on her adorable Skeeter.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training