Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal Parrot - A list of problems

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Senegal Parrot - A list of problems

Postby Wolf » Sun May 04, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi Semih ;

Senegals do not have a problem with bathing and will need to have one offered at least once a week. You do want to keep the temperature down though, As a general guide I start with cold water and add just enough warm until I don't feel the water temperature, any warmer is too much.
You now have two Senegals with a parasitic infestation, the parasites are so contagious that if one has it all birds that come into contact with them has it from that time, it only takes a second for this to happen. you need to talk to the vet and start treating both of them right away. I am sure that she loves being netted about as much as I enjoy salt in my eye. Yeah, giving medications always makes them a bit distrustful, but what can you do about it?
I saw your video and I saw the place on the males head as well as the females, other than the parasite they look good. It is always easier to get one to eat different foods if they see another parrot eating it too. Thank you for sharing the video with us.
I am not sure what you mean about making the comfortable outside the cage, it could mean many things so if you could give me an idea of what you mean, I will try to help.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Semih » Sun May 04, 2014 1:51 pm

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I owe too much to this forum and you.

I forgot to mention that I am treating the other bird with medication too; but since he is new and never got acquainted with me, catching him with a net doesn't make any difference in terms of his behavior towards me or my wife. By the way, the vet is not sure about whether it is a parasite or not, we are just taking precautions against any type of thing like that.

When outside the cage, the girl just escapes to the highest points in the room. I know that this is a natural behavior, but is there anything I can do to make her come down and play around? Or, do we have to wait until she feels comfortable in the presence of us? I tried holding her food up, millet, and the sticks (she likes playing with), but she just flies to another high point when I try to approach her. Inside the cage, she steps up and is not afraid of my hand or me approaching. Why can't I do the same thing outside of the cage? How long do we have to wait until she steps up on my shoulder? Should I do anything else in the cage (like, more and different types of training) before letting her out?
Semih
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Poicephalus Senegalus

Postby Wolf » Sun May 04, 2014 5:02 pm

Honestly a big part of it is in gaining her trust so ,while it is ok to reach up to offer a treat or to offer your hand to step up on, don't chase her or follow her to do these things. You are going to have to be patient with her.
The fact that you mate is clipped and can't fly may help to bring her down out of the rafters. I think that working with him where she can see you doing it will help as well.
You should be able to gain more control over her movements outside the cage by starting target training with her, actually with them both. You would start the target training inside the cage and work you way out as they progress.
I can't say how long any of this will take, the main reason is that their are no wild caught birds where I live. They all come from breeders, pet shops or rescues, so they are with people their entire lives.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training