Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help with Indian Ringneck

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Help with Indian Ringneck

Postby Wolf » Fri May 23, 2014 8:28 am

First rule that you should never ever bend, break, or ignore is all birds must undergo a 30 day quarantine, this is to protect both the new bird and the birds that you already have. So I would let her out in a room to herself. Later on, after the quarantine period is past, if you choose to introduce the birds it must be done slowly and only under strict supervision. That is rule number 2, it will protect your birds from harming each other.

I hope that this proves helpful to you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 23, 2014 11:10 am

I don't like taking them out of the room they are used to (and begin to feel or are already comfortable with) and putting them in another room. This was a 'taming' trick people used to do when we did not know any better but it's a form of flooding and it's no longer recommended.

If they are already in the same room, just put the quaker in a cage when you let her out. If she is still in quarantine and in another room, just let her out there and, when quarantine is over and you will be moving her to the same room as the quaker, supervise closely. Quakers are usually pretty good with other birds as well as ringnecks but an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GozoFran » Sun May 25, 2014 7:57 am

Thank you so very much for your help appreciate it. Following all the tips I have received. Fingers crossed.
GozoFran
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Indian Ringneck and a Canary

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training