Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

fighting when training

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

fighting when training

Postby flamingo » Wed May 14, 2014 11:25 am

Training macaws via clicker, and target is so easy they all respond well but sometimes they get furious with each other

I am finding my scarlett a new bird is getting more and more nasty to other birds, I have a huge area where my birds are allowed out as they please and the scarlett looks like he wants to or would hurt some of them

The blue and gold and the green wing can handle him and put him in his place but everyone else is scared of him

Would it be better to just rehome him? THey are in a 275 sq foot area, scarlett needs an experienced owner though

when i had construction men over they thought he was stunning until he scared the crap out of them
flamingo
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: green cheeks yay
Flight: Yes

Re: fighting when training

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 15, 2014 2:45 pm

Only you can tell whether he needs rehoming or not. Macaws are usually either friendly with each other or they simply ignore any other bird and concentrate on their human. They are known for bluffing and lunging but, usually, they are not aggressive birds. Is it possible that you have spread yourself too thin and are not paying enough one-on-one with each of them? Or could it be that you just got too many new birds too close to one another? I have found that it takes me months and months to achieve a good flock synergy after I bring in a new bird so I never take in a new one until the most recent one has found its own place in the flock and steadily keeps it (they do revert every now and then so you have to wait until a couple of months go by without any incident). The last bird to come to me is an LSC, he has been here for almost a year and he still reverts every now and then (he would move in on another bird's 'place' and some of them don't like it).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: fighting when training

Postby Wolf » Thu May 15, 2014 10:45 pm

How many and what species of birds are in this area?
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training