Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Aviator harness sizes

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Aviator harness sizes

Postby Elaihr » Mon May 26, 2014 6:07 am

Hi!

I'm just curious about the aviator harness sizes. I've got a small sized one, as that was the one recommended for Pionuses (I've got a Blue-headed Pionus). I'm currently training her to wear it and it's going okay this far, but the part that's supposed to go over the head seems a bit tight. I know they have very thin necks and it's mostly just feathers, which is why I didn't bother looking into it any further to begin with, but now I've seen some videos where it looks like it's a lot easier for the parrots to get their heads through the hole, than it seems to be for Penny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YllXBKan7F0

In this video for example, the parrot slides his head through very easily. Penny has to push a little to get her head through, and I'm just wondering if this is okay or not. When I've seen Michael's videos I don't think it looks as "smooth" as in this one with the CAG either. Is it perhaps because the smaller sizes are still a bit broad if you measure across the harness parts, while the "holes" are smaller(I hope you understand what I mean, it's hard to explain)? Like, smaller harness = material size is pretty much the same as the materials used for the bigger sizes, but it's sewn together in a way that makes it smaller as a whole.

I'm asking because I don't want to risk Penny's health by having her wear an ill fitting harness. Also, if the problem really is that the harness is too small, maybe I should write to the producer and tell them Pi's need a bigger size. Penny's normal sized for a Pionus, she's around 27,5cm long from beak to tail and she weighs around 230 grams or so (haven't weighed her in a while but I think this is normal?).

Best regards!
Sara & Penny
Elaihr
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Blue-headed Pionus (Pionus menstruus)
Flight: Yes

Re: Aviator harness sizes

Postby Wolf » Mon May 26, 2014 7:33 am

You are partially correct is your assessment of the size of the material and how it affects the size of the head opening. Another factor involved is that of the individual birds actual head size. These harnesses are made to fit a range of bird sizes and as a result the larger bird sizes within the range experience a snugger fit.
you may want to take the part that fits over the birds head and pull on it to stretch the material so as to slightly increase the size of the head opening.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Elaihr » Mon May 26, 2014 7:48 am

Thanks again, Wolf!

I'll try that and see if it helps. It seems to fit alright once it's on, it's just the getting-it-on-part that seems uncomfortable to me. At least, less comfortable than it does for the CAG in the video!

I hope I won't break it, lol :lol:
Elaihr
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Mon May 26, 2014 8:46 am

I have pulled on mine to check it out and I was not able to damage mine by pulling on it in any direction. I weigh in at 200 lbs. and am very strong as all I have ever done has required a lot of physical movement and strength. Training horses, including all hoof trimming and shoeing activities, breeding and foaling, processing and putting up hay for the winter and so on.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Elaihr » Fri May 30, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi again Wolf,

I trusted you, and you did not fail me :) I managed to stretch it out just a little bit and it immediately seemed more comfortable. It was hard to stretch thouch, geeze, now I can see why they're so hard for the parrot to break! They're tough things, those harnesses!
Elaihr
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Fri May 30, 2014 12:37 pm

Yeah, they really are tough and I hope that the harness works for you now. I am working with my grey now to get her to accept her harness.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Elaihr » Fri May 30, 2014 3:43 pm

Same here with Penny, she accepts me touching her with it and gettin her head through the loop, but she won't stay that way for very long, but I'm taking it slow so I think we'll get there in time :) Any advice on how to keep her from trying to get out of it as soon as she's gotten the reward for getting it on to begin with? Or should I just keep practicing to let her get used to it?
Elaihr
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Fri May 30, 2014 4:07 pm

You could put it on, adjust it and give reward, leave it on and try to get her to walk with it on, reward and remove it. do this a couple of times ( use your own judgment here ).
Put it on, adjust it, do something with it on then reward her and remove it. Work on extending the time by getting her to do more with it on and just reward her for the things that she does with it on, but not for wearing it. Use praise and petting instead of treats when you get it on and adjusted and again after you remove it.
This would be the process that I would use or as close to it as the bird will accept.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Michael » Fri May 30, 2014 4:40 pm

If my 350g Cape Parrot with a giant head can wear small, then it's fine for your pionus. Believe me you don't want something bigger. Just gotta teach him to help put it on rather than resist.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Taming & Basic Training