Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What Can I Do at the Store??

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: What Can I Do at the Store??

Postby Wolf » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:19 pm

You do not have to use the force and reconcile later method, I would not. I simply talk to them and place my hand near the bird and let the bird come to me. I also will offer it treats ,but it must come to my hand to get the treat. If it will come to my hand to get the treat, it is just a little more time and patience for it to step on to my hand to get the treat and given the time without any pressure it will step up on its own and when it does, sat Step up and give the treat and praise. This has always worked for me, but all of my birds came from an abusive place and were deathly afraid of me and my hands, due to the abuse that they had suffered.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: What Can I Do at the Store??

Postby kikidee » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Yeah I actually didn't really want to do that method either. I'll just get it used to me and work my way into its comfort zone eventually.
kikidee
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Princess of Wales
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training