Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is It Too Late To Train?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Is It Too Late To Train?

Postby Scotty13 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:06 pm

I have a Yellow Nape Amazon who is 25 years old. He's always been a loving bird but sometimes he can get nasty. Doesn't want to be touched and tries to bite me. Anyway to break this habit and what can I do?

Thanks, Scotty13
Scotty13
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Nape Amazon
Flight: No

Re: Is It Too Late To Train?

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:23 pm

Yeah, why not? I adopte a 14 year old macaw and can do anything with her I could with a baby bird.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:15 pm

Have you had this parrot for very long? how much experience with parrots do you have? Do you know any of his body language, especially the indicators that he is in an aggressive mode? What are you feeding him and how often do you feed him? Is he caged and if so how big is his cage? Does he get time out of his cage and how much time? Do you have any background info on him from before you got him?
I do not think that any parrot is too old to learn and The questions above are just basic questions that have an effect on your birds behavior, answering them will help us to help you with your situation more effectively. Also, one more important question. What time does he get up in the morning and go to bed at night? Make that two questions. Is he exposed to all natural light from dawn to dusk or is he on artificial lighting?
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Scotty13 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:43 am

@Wolf - Kokomo is 25 yrs old. I’ve had since he was 6 months. I’ve only had one parrot. I do know his moods. His food dish (tablets) is always full and he eats table foods. He lives in a large cage and the door is always open. His wings are clipped. I do give him treats when I leave for work, when I get home and when I tell him, he’s a good boy. He gets up at 2am for an hour, and then I go to work. We go to bed at 8pm. He is exposed to natural light. He can see out the huge living room window.
What can I do to train him?

Thanks,
Scotty :amazon:
Scotty13
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:54 am

Well, Scotty, the Yellow Naped Amazon has a life expectancy of 50 to 60 years, so Kokomo is only middle aged. He is young enough to train for just about anything that you would want. Have you done any training at all with Kokomo?
I have a female Yellow Naped Amazon, she is 14 yrs. old, flighted and her cage door is open all of the time. She also does not come out of her cage unless I bring her out. So how much time out of his cage do you think that Kokomo actually gets? Do you take him out and play with him? Does he walk about much or does he just sit on a perch? How much time does he spend just hanging out with you?
I know I am asking a lot of questions but I am trying to get a picture of what Kokomo knows and what his physical condition is. There is no sense for me to suggest that you start training him at a point that he is already proficient at. I am also trying to assess the relationship that exists with you and Kokomo to understand why he has started to bite you. I would also like you to consider letting his wings grow back as being clipped is not healthy for him either physically or psychologically.
I am thinking that we should probably start off with target training. To that end I am posting a link for you to read as it explains the basics of target training.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=227

If you have any ideas about what you want your friend, Kokomo, to learn let me know. There are all kinds of tricks that he can learn, and there is flight training, and I don't know if Kokomo is talking but Yellow Napes are one of the best talkers in the parrot world.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Scotty13 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:39 am

I decided to search for some Amazon behavior videos on YouTube and surprised to find, that Amazon and other parrots do bite and true not in a mean way. Kokomo does have his different personalities and I’ve learned over the years when to stay away. It’s funny because when he doesn’t want to be touch, I’ll talk to him for a minute and try again and he’s fine.
He loves to be scratched, loves to hang out with me on my desk and on the sofa when I’m watching TV. He loves to walk around the house when I’m home. I always have the music playing in the house, so he loves to sing and talk while the music is on. It’s funny, because while I’m out or at work, he stays in his cage almost the entire time until I come home and when I do, he rushes out and starts talking.

When I’m speaking of the biting part is more of a squawking, lunge and good firm hold and I want to try and minimize that.

You’ve been a big help. Thank you for your time and advice.

Scotty :amazon:
Scotty13
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:27 am

That's not biting, that's warning you and all you have to do is not insist.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:38 am

I am in total agreement with Pajarita as to what is occurring. He is warning you, but you should be able to avoid this as well, but you must look at him and read his body language. Look for his eyes to flash, or pin, look for his tail feathers to spread and close and spread again, look for his beak to be opening and closing, look for his body feathers to puff and then flatten down tight to his body. These are all cues that will normally precede the squawk and lunge stage, and he may use some or all of them in his attempt to communicate with you.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training