Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rehabilitating abused conure

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Rehabilitating abused conure

Postby Emptor » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:02 pm

So i recently came into possession of a 9 year old Green Cheeked Conure with major issues when it comes to people. his previous owner was a nice enough women that just simply didn't have the patience to deal with him and yelled at him hit the cage with a mop and held his beak. He reacts aggressively when i put my hand near the cage and is even more aggressive if i have him out with gloves ( i was told he doesn't like gloves but if i don't use them I don't think its any exaggeration to say that my fingers would be flayed). I tried laddering but that really dosent work for very long since once that calms him down anything i do will immediately set him to attack mode again. You guys got any advice on how to help him to trust people again or is he after 9 years of abuse just to far gone.
Emptor
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Rehabilitating abused conure

Postby Wolf » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:41 pm

No he is not just too far gone, but it is going to take time and patience. You will most definitely have to earn his trust and you can only do this by showing him that you mean him no harm. The only birds that I have in my home, with the possible exception of my newest member, all came from abusive people and homes. So I only use one method of reaching them, and that is simply to talk to them and not to ask anything of them until they let me know that they are ready to move on to the next step. I also use the time to start changing them over to a healthy diet.
I start by setting aside 15 minutes two to four times per day for this process. Watch the bird using a sideways look and not straight on as a predator will watch looking straight on. Begin to walk slowly towards the cage, watching for any sign of nervousness in the bird. He will start to fidget or move away form you in the cage, as soon as he does stop and do not approach any closer for this session. Now just talk to him calmly, like he was your best friend. Although it doesn't mater what you talk about, you need to include words and phrases similar to those you would use to praise him with. During this process, I find it easiest to talk about why I wanted him and what I hope our relationship can be like and possible future hopes and dreams concerning him. When the time is up say goodbye and leave the room. Repeat this process until you find yourself at his cage.
Now you can do exactly the same thing with the introduction of placing a treat through the cage bars where he can reach it, three or four little treats per session should be plenty.
The next step occurs once he begins to take the treats, now you offer the treat through the bare but you hold the treat until he takes it. If he does not take the treat from you then leave it for him.
Once he will accept the treat from you through the bars your next step is to open the cage and offer the treat from your hand until he takes it. Through every one of these steps you keep talking to him as described in step one. Now once he will take the treat from your hand with the door open you may progress to holding the treat so that he must step up on your hand to get it. Through all of this you are not asking him to do anything and you don't ask him to step up now, you just keep talking to him and wait for him to do it on his own. When he does this you will have earned enough of his trust that you may begin to teach him to step up when you ask him to and continue on to normal training.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training