Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My cockatiel sarted to hiss me

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: My cockatiel sarted to hiss me

Postby william.k.o » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:59 pm

Wolf wrote:To some degree it does matter how big the room is.How big is the room you are thinking of using?

it's like 5 meters by like 6 or 7.

Pajarita wrote:Round cages are not good for birds, they need to be square and the back needs to be against a wall.

Well here where i live there are only round cages if you want them big i don't know why.
william.k.o
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Postby Tman007 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:16 pm

William, I have a few things to give you a heads up. First take a deep breath and try and relax. In order for you to start training you need to build his trust first, The things am telling you are just things I have done. It can get exciting to have a bird. But you need to go about it nice and slow. Like people are saying get the cage up, one so he doesn't have to look up to see you he can just look across the cage and see you. two if he has a treat he really likes ,go ahead and give it to him through the bars. that mite make him feel safer. do that and as you give him the treats talk to him, if you can't get the cage up that high then you sit on the floor, so that you are not over the cage. just keep working with him through the cage at first. And see if he starts to come to you to get the treat. as he starts to come to you to get the treats and you give it to him through the bars. Then try and open the cage and as he sit on a perch in the cage give him a treat. And just keep on talking to him. Don't try and do anything else. Just get him use to you being the treat guy. No matter how temping it is to have him step up, just let him take treats from you for now. You see I had to do the same thing and as time goes by he will decide when he's ready. just keep coming back to this form I am new to this form as well. Just remember we are here to help you, sometimes it may seam that we are getting on your case, but trust me we are just trying to help. I have to say I have learned a lot from this crew on here. ;)
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Postby william.k.o » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:32 pm

Well thing is ithought i had his trust, you see the first three weeks i think, i did that, i sat on the floor besides his cage (i always do that, i don't like to see him below me) and gave him sunflower seeds through the bars and then with my hand inside his cage and all that, and then i started training him but i guess he needs more time because he won't let me touch him nor get out of the cage on his own and now he hisses at me.
And that's why i came here again to ask for help because i didn't know what to do, but i'll do everything all of you told me.
Although i still don't know if i should take him out of his cage or if i should wait and see, i just need an answer for that since i think i got why he's hissing.
william.k.o
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:49 pm

I thought that was what I have been trying to get you to set up for him, a place and a way for you to get him out for some free time. Yes you do need to work on your bonding with him but he needs to get out of his cage. I started working with you back in April and tried to get you to bond with him and get him out every since that time. That is three months. Exercise helps to calm them down and also helps them to think clearly, it has to do with how their brain is wired to work. So your bird is hissing at you. This means that he is very upset with you and that you are losing your bond with him.
The solution is to give him a way to work through his frustrations and anger which is best accomplished by time and space to fly about. And for you to go through the original taming and bonding method that you have already been taught and this time don't quit on him. So the sooner that you can give him time to fly the better.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby william.k.o » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:19 am

Ok thanks, i'll bond with him and take him out of the cage, and put his cage on a higher place.
Oh, should i stop training him?
william.k.o
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:53 am

With the amount of training that you have done, I see no reason to quit. Right now it may very well be your best tool to get Joey in and out of his cage. Get a small perch ready that he can use now, while out of his cage and even though your bond is on shaky ground get him out of his cage for some exercise and free time, 3 months is just too long to be caged. The free time, will help his mental and emotional stability too.
And yes, he will probably crash land several times, since he hasn't been able to fly for so long, so sit down on the floor where you can help him if he gets in trouble, and let him do his thing for a couple of hours. Don't bother him, unless he needs help to get out of someplace that you didn't count on him being able to get into. Check on him to make sure that he is ok after a crash, but if he is ok, then let him continue. This first few times out to fly can be nerve wracking, but he will improve until he doesn't crash anymore.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby william.k.o » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:18 am

Ok, thanks for all of your help, i'll keep training him and bond with him, and give him freet ime.

Thanks, william and joey :pied:
william.k.o
Cockatiel

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training