Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Amos and bonding

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Amos and bonding

Postby Tman007 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:24 pm

Here's the thing, I have had Amos and Andy now for about three weeks, at first Amos would step up, come out of his cage and everything was alright. Then about four days ago something changed I took him out went to my chair to sit with him and he flew to his cage and went inside and that was it, he wouldn't step up he didn't want to come out and when I put my hand in the cage just to pet him he would move out of my way. So I sat in my chair and tried to figure out just what I did wrong or what was going on. He would take treats from my hand through the bars he was eating good He would call to me in the morning and evening. and when I walked in the room he would come up to the bars to be petted through the bars. So I got on the form and read about cage bound birds. And found a post by Pajarita , so I did what she said to do. I left the door opened and just sat back and played with Andy. And every once in awhile I would go over and give Amos a treat just to let him know everything was ok. after about two days I asked him to step up and he did, but I didn't move from by the cage and just held him there and gave him treats and then I put him back. I did this every day. and today he came out and was calling for me so I went over put out my hand and he stepped up I slowly walked over to the chair and held him close to me. I found his spot that he likes, to be petted. Right between the bottom of his neck and his wing. I guess you could say his shoulder. And I sat there for about 30 minutes just slowly rubbing that area. He is in molt and he has a head full of pin feathers so I just rub a little spot were there is no pins. He just laid up against me and was making a soft little sound like he was happy. I feel that he just mite have been up set because of the molt. Here is a picture of him on me.
Attachments
Andy's anticks 007.JPG
You can see the pin feathers
(103.88 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Amos and bonding

Postby Harpmaker » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:05 pm

It sounds like you figured out the problem, dealt with it appropriately, and are reaping the reward. Well done Tman007!
Harpmaker
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Amos and bonding

Postby Wolf » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:35 pm

Good job, keep it up.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal