Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Budgie Help!!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Budgie Help!!

Postby shadowbird15 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:44 am

my :budgie: is not listening to me but she is calm now, when i said step up to her she didn't do the step up thing and when i push my index finger she don't climb into my finger... how to deal with that?
shadowbird15
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: parakeet
Flight: Yes

Re: Budgie Help!!

Postby Wolf » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:20 am

Don't push her like that as it will only create more problems later on. Spend time getting to know her and letting her get to know you. If you spend time just talking to her and offering her the occasional treat she will learn that you mean her no harm and begin to trust you. Then start putting your hand on the cage with you fingers inside while you talk to her and give her the treats. Then start offering the treats in a manner that requires her to come onto your hand. Then ask for the step up, but never try to force it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:17 pm

Budgies are not like other parrots, they are very flightly little birds which don't take kindly to staying put in one place or stepping up onto fingers - they do it if trained but even then they are not what one would call consistent, they do it sometimes and, sometimes, they just on't.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby shiraartain » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:01 pm

Probably my favorite thing about my budgie was that she had a mind of her own :D. That said, don't give up hope! My budgie didn't start speaking until she was around at least 6 years old!

Follow the advice given to you by the other forum members and you'll get somewhere.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby GMV » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:19 am

in general, don't pick your bird up when they don't want to come. also, from my experience, budgies do not learn tricks like step up as easy as other birds.
GMV
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: [Green-Cheek Conure] [Cockatiel]
[Umbrella Cockatoo]

Return to Taming & Basic Training