Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Harness Training?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Harness Training?

Postby Calthesa » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:45 pm

Hello again everyone,

So, Pepper Red-Belly :redbelly: and I have been working on harness training (wanted to get started early since I hear younger is better) and he's doing pretty well. It's been about two weeks since we started and he is willing to stick his head in now, but we've been at a bit of an impasse for a few days. He's not afraid of the harness or of having the harness on him, but he doesn't seem to be making the connection that presenting the harness means it is going on him. I have to use a treat or target stick through the hole every single time, or else he just chews on the harness or stares at it.

If I keep at it will he eventually get it or am I doing something wrong? I hope to order Michael's new DVD soon, but in the meantime I could use some help...

Thanks,
Cal
Calthesa
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Bellied Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Harness Training?

Postby Michael » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:33 pm

Sounds like you're on the right track. You definitely have the hardest part behind you. Now that he's ok with having it on, you can keep working on it. It's not absolutely imperative that the bird put it on itself. The essential thing is that it is alright with putting it on. Wanting to put it on, directly implies this. If the bird is young and/or indifferent, it may be alright to proceed with just putting the rest on. As long as the bird doesn't resist and isn't against having it put on from this point, I think you're ok.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Harness Training?

Postby Calthesa » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:39 pm

Okay! We'll just keep going as is then. Thanks for the quick reply! :D
Calthesa
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Bellied Parrot